Florida Keys in November - my plan so far

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainbow Reef is what it is. It's a cattle boat operation, but it's very well run. Your dives will be around 45 minutes, and it's pretty much everybody up at the same time. It's a nice operation, but not for me. If you like less people, and a more personal experience, check out Quiescence. Their boats go out in 6 packs, and they have a fair amount of numbers that don't get a ton of pressure, so you can enjoy some relatively shallow dives in the 30' range and see some healthier coral and formations than some of the other sites with heavier pressure. Just my .02. Enjoy. Also, if you can request a reef, ask for Pleasure Reef. It's where Captain Slate's has his Creature Feature (eel and nurse shark feeding). It's one of my favorite shallow water sites in the Key Largo area.

Check out Conch Republic Divers, they are out of Tavernier Key which is just south of Key Largo so it is a bit less of a drive for you. They are great, not crowded and not rushed with time. Very relaxed and enjoyable operation and very nice people.

Unless you just want to check the Pennekamp or Looe Key box I would skip both. Both areas get heavy traffic and the reefs are getting beat up. Plus Pennekamp will be a hour and 1/2 drive at least from Bahia Honda. I would dive the Marathon area. Lots of great reefs and not as heavily visited. (have not been there since the Hurricane). Just a quick drive across the 7 mile bridge and you are on Marathon, lots of dive shops and boats to choose from. 7 Mile Grill used to be really good and so did Herbies. Dont know their status since the storm.

Duck Key is the Key just above Marathon (or the little key just over the 7 Mile bridge), only one dive shop there (the first one) that did cater to the resort, which by Nov. will have re-opened. Dont know about the little Duck Key. Never dove the waters on the south end of the 7-Mile bridge (Little Duck Key), but they should be nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom