Florida Lobster Mini-Season Questions & Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The crazed, boisterous populations of Miami-Dade and Broward counties would surely riot and go berserk.

and I don't understand why...it has clearly been established that there are no lobsters of any note in Broward, and all bug hunting tourists are better served by going to Miami, The Keys, and perhaps Palm Beach County....

nothing here.

seriously...

I know of a place I can pretty well predict a take of over 100 lobster on one dive--pretty much no one dives here....actually there is one other, potentially even better, but at 120......depth of my first choice site is only about 95 feet.
If you KNOW me, and you want your max on mini season....you might want to go out when we do :)

I know of a place I can pretty well predict a take of over 100 lobster on one dive--pretty much no one dives here....actually there is one other, potentially even better, but at 120......depth of my first choice site is only about 95 feet.
If you KNOW me, and you want your max on mini season....you might want to go out when we do :)

Hey Dan, how about leaving a few for those of us there the first week of regular season!

BTW. What is the best way to package extras for transport. Dry ice? Or will this effect the taste?

One of the crazed berserko things divers do is drive to the Keys for mini-season.
Mini-season's daily take allows each properly licensed diver twice the daily limit of legal lobsters (so 12 instead of 6) in every county in Florida EXCEPT in Monroe County (the Keys), where the limit is always 6 per licensed diver. :shakehead:

Last edited:
There are more lobster north and south of Broward County.
The Keys are LOADED.
The waters off of Palm Beach County, Dade County, and Monroe County have the best population density in the world for Caribbean Spiny Lobster.
Even if you do happen to find a bug in Broward, it is lost, and it will be found no farther north than Port Everglades.
North of that, is sad to say, just a bug desert.
The bugs resume precisely at the Broward/Palm Beach County line, and the density increases more and more as you go north.
By the time you get to Lake Worth Inlet the bugs are so dense that there ius really not enough hiding places and they will pretty much crawl into your bag for refuge.

I am not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the Lion Fish.

Just trying to help.

Chug
nothing-to-see-here-keep-walking.jpg

Hey Dan, how about leaving a few for those of us there the first week of regular season!

BTW. What is the best way to package extras for transport. Dry ice? Or will this effect the taste?

Lobsters have to be shipped live. :p Lobsters come from New Jersey and north, and have claws. :D These overgrown palmetto bugs that are down here that folks go nuts for? Why bother shipping them anywhere? Who cares what they taste like? They are only good to fertilize your garden.

It never ceases to amaze me how much someone will spend on coming to Florida for mini season. Even if you take home 12 apiece (the limit in Monroe County), the time to drive here and haul the boat and get a hotel and gas etc. makes those little bastiges worth about $100/lb.

Lobsters have to be shipped live. :p Lobsters come from New Jersey and north, and have claws. :D These overgrown palmetto bugs that are down here that folks go nuts for? Why bother shipping them anywhere? Who cares what they taste like? They are only good to fertilize your garden.

It never ceases to amaze me how much someone will spend on coming to Florida for mini season. Even if you take home 12 apiece (the limit in Monroe County), the time to drive here and haul the boat and get a hotel and gas etc. makes those little bastiges worth about $100/lb.

I see your point and agree if only there for bugs and would not be caught dead (oops) there during mini season. But as a side activity on a trip I do anyway. Don't mind at all if I have a few extras to take home. Not there to stock a freezer...

It's not about the money spent :) It's about the vacation and time spent on the water. In a different local.:cool2:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom