Florida: Sailboat nearly runs over divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I cannot play the video here...

Sailboat nearly runs over divers | runs, beach, sailboat - CAUGHT ON VIDEO - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach
RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. -- Some scuba divers under the Blue Heron Bridge had a close call with a sailboat, and the whole thing was caught on video by people on a nearby dive boat who happened to have a camera.

You can hear reaction from onlookers who were on Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures.

"Guys watch out! He's comin' through full-throttle. Look out! Look out! Look out! Get out of the way! Get out of the way! He's gonna hit you guys, he is not listening. Captain! You need to stop! You need to just cease your engines Captain! You need to shut your engines down. There's divers all under your bow. Shut your engines down, Cap! Shut your engines down!"

As horrified onlookers watched, the sailboat captain just kept right on going, apparently ignoring the fact that there were divers and diver-down flags in the water. The captain had just plowed right through the middle of them.

"I cannot believe he just did that! That was unique in idiocy. Cap, I'm taking that video to the Coast Guard station. That was unbelievable! I warned you before you did it and you did it anyway! You're unbelievable, Cap! They need to check your license," said an onlooker.

Luckily none of the divers were hit. We showed that video to two dive instructors.

"It's just clearly blatant ignorance from the boat captain's point of view because he was warned before he was going in the area," said dive instructor Jeff Nelson.

"It's hard to believe that a sailboat would be that negligent," said dive instructor Tony Royle.

As the video shows, as the sailboat went under the bridge, it was not in the central channel that is designated for boat traffic.

Instead, the sailboat chose another path just east of the main channel, right through a popular dive spot, putting divers in jeopardy.

Florida Fish and Wildlife told us they've seen that video too and now they're trying to track down that sailboat to see if further action is needed.

just blows my mind! he'll get what's coming to him...
You think? I doubt it.

for those that might not know, they are on the marine radio yelling at him...!!!

Florida Fish and Wildlife told us they've seen that video too and now they're trying to track down that sailboat to see if further action is needed.
... odds are pretty good that "further action" would mean the FWW deciding that the bridge should be put off-limits to divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At least he had engines running. You can listen for those and stay down longer. The last time I dived Molasses reef, I surfaced to a big sailboat drifting by for a close look at the divers surfacing - wind powered only, no sound for warning, no brakes. I called him every obscenity I could think of :mad: and I am sure he heard me well as I was close enough to see the expression on his face. :shocked2:

I've shot my smb on every dive on this Cozumel trip and it amazes me that any diver goes to sea without one, but - I have seen them ran over too. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom