Florida: Sailboat nearly runs over divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag.
I wanted to highlight another section that is overlooked by some. If he was warned before he went into that channel, he is certainly in violation of the law based on the above clause.

The sailboat was moving EXTREMELY slowly, not sure if there was much of a current. A boat idleing forward presents less danger to a diver than one backing down because the bow and sides of the boat should "deflect" a diver from the prop. Also, I would assume that the keel would also serve to protect the divers from the prop when moving forward.

I'll agree. And I know I'm looking at this from both sides. I have crewed on a big boat (sail).

We need to qualify it when calling the divers' location a "channel". If the divers were in a channel, they were no doubt in the wrong. The sailboat went East of the channel because the bridge has more clearance there.

I honestly have a puckered butt everytime I see that video. Until the sanctuary hearings, I felt very safe in that location with my daughter and her friends. Hence forth, I will keep them from going beyond the bent to the East.

Edit: reply to straegen post 41. Not DD

Last edited:
The sailboat was moving EXTREMELY slowly, not sure if there was much of a current. A boat idleing forward presents less danger to a diver than one backing down because the bow and sides of the boat should "deflect" a diver from the prop. Also, I would assume that the keel would also serve to protect the divers from the prop when moving forward.

I agree completely.

Edit. My earlier post was in reply to straegon

The laws of sailboat design would say the opposite is true. They are designed to very efficiently process water down the sides and onto the rudder/prop. The rudder guards the prop when backing (although I don't want to get backed into either). Proceeding (even at a slow speed) could easily push a diver or connected flag (heaven forbid) into the prop or crush him into a piling. Remember, these guys were on the surface too.

A sailboat of that size is going to max out around 7 knots on the prop. I'll give him a 2 knot increase for possible current.
If he couldn't see those flags moving at 9 knots in time to change course he shouldn't be allowed to pilot a vessel.

Back
Top Bottom