Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexander is awesome and no buddy needed. Lots of fish, including invasives. Troy is awesome, has a wreck from the Civil War, lights are not allowed and you need a buddy. I haven't been to Royal since the 70s, but I'll be going soon. Devil's Den is fun and there's a bit to see at Blue Grotto. Hudson Grotto is dark and challenging for most and all the rest need Cavern or Cave certs to dive. Maybe you should take a class?

Alexander is awesome and no buddy needed. Lots of fish, including invasives. Troy is awesome, has a wreck from the Civil War, lights are not allowed and you need a buddy. I haven't been to Royal since the 70s, but I'll be going soon. Devil's Den is fun and there's a bit to see at Blue Grotto. Hudson Grotto is dark and challenging for most and all the rest need Cavern or Cave certs to dive. Maybe you should take a class?

I’ve thought about the cavern class, but the gear requirements and the class fees are cost prohibitive.

I’ve thought about the cavern class, but the gear requirements and the class fees are cost prohibitive.

You should be able to take a cavern class in most (if not any) set of open water gear. Sure, many folks upgrade to a more cave/ tech friendly rig, but it's not completely necessary. Diving with an air2 and short hose might be the only thing that would NEED to be upgraded.

A cavern/safety reel can be sourced at reasonable cost and you can get really good deals on the two lights you would need, easily found for under 100 clams.

Getting your cavern cert will really open up a lot of spring diving for you, even if cave is not your end goal.

but the gear requirements
As was just said, you can do cavern in OW gear. See if you like it.

This time of year, Alexander should be relatively quiet, with excellent visibility and good fish watching opportunities.

Blue Springs in Orange City is worth a dive or two, but you need a buddy, and as the ocean water cools, the manatees tend to congregate there. When they do, the park is often closed to diving. Or at least that was the case last I heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom