Flower Garden trips CANCELLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry your trip was cancelled...This business decision on their part will not keep me from diving the Flower Gardens someday...I want to dance with the Hammerheads!

Confucius says: "He who dances with the Hammerheads, pukes to the Bermuda Chub.":D

It's sad to see so many people whinning about missing a dive trip, while the Gulf is Devistated by a massive oil leak which is creating real hardship for those living along the Gulf. Focus your temper on BP and the oil industry and hope the Fling makes enough money to be a viable business to take us out next year.

I believe it's okay to be upset about not being able to break away from the every day BS at work to go on a dive trip with good friends for a couple of days, yet be understanding of the owners/crew of the Fling's decision to contribute to the aid of cleaning the Gulf. No need to get yourself all worked up by being surprised or ashamed of us who felt the need to "vent". Not to mention the fact that I really don't think any of us are going to lose any sleep over you being surprised or ashamed of us......

The Flower Gardens are not the only thing to explore on our Texas coast.

...with all due respect, while the FG (and Stetson) aren't the only things to explore off our TX coast, they are the only things worth a d*mn to explore off our TX coast, IMHO. You can't equate maybe doing a 2 or 3 tank 'day boat' trip to the inshore sites to being able to spend several days/almost a week on a liveaboard out in the nice, blue water! I'll admit I'm not 'into' diving the inshore artificial wrecks due to the much worse dive conditions 'inshore', with frequent underwater vis at major suckage levels, moreover, the inshore sites hold no attraction to a reef/critter diver.

I am surprised and ashamed of everyone of you "me,me, me" people. You are missing a freaking dive trip while others have lost their entire livelihood. So the Fling decided to help out by providing bunks for clean up crews. At least they are contributing. I am sure they would much rather be running your trip then providing this service but environmental disasters happen. The "oil is not going to get to FG" crowd better pray a hurricane doesn't come barreling in and push this disaster west in the gulf. FG will be toast. Then what would the Fling do? Oh I am sure we would get the "Shame about the Flower Gardens and the Fling losing their business" thread and the "I guess I'm diving Mexico the next decade". thread. I believe a little support is warranted here not condemnation.

Every day the world turns there is a natural disaster somewhere. Someone's houses get flooded or burned or destroyed, people get killed or murdered, lives and livelihoods shattered. If those of us spared that misery are not entitled to a vacation because others face such hardships then cancel the entire vacation industry.

As for what you think the Fling would rather be doing, note that their participation is voluntary at their choosing. I hope they can be of some assistance to the cleanup but I really don't recall hearing officials lamenting last month that the cleanup would be going so much faster if only they had one more boat available. And I am pretty damned sure the Fling is not going to be able to prevent any hurricanes from barreling in.

I am curious how many of you upset with the Fling's decision work for large companies as one of many employees and how many have worked to establish and build a business? I say this because in my past business lives I have found the attitude of the corporate employee (of which I have been) is much less understanding of the challenges that face a small, homegrown business (also of which I have been and currently am) and the work it takes to maintain daily operations than those that have put blood, sweat, tears and personal finances on the line to run their business.

Small business owners don't always get a scheduled number of vacation and personal time, benefits, stock options and all the things that come with the comfort, yes I say comfort, of the corporate job. This is not meant to diminish your hard work but to bring to light the difference in perspective of the corporate mentality compared to that of the entrepreneur.

Look at the big picture, not just your needs. Just a thought. Fire away.

"I guess I'm diving Mexico the next decade".
I'm the last person who thought I'd be saying this, as I dearly love FG/Stetson, but that prediction you made is EXACTLY where we're headed.....I'm gonna go ahead and get a headstart on the grieving process and come to grips with that reality.

...with all due respect, while the FG (and Stetson) aren't the only things to explore off our TX coast, they are the only things worth a d*mn to explore off our TX coast, IMHO. You can't equate maybe doing a 2 or 3 tank 'day boat' trip to the inshore sites to being able to spend several days/almost a week on a liveaboard out in the nice, blue water! I'll admit I'm not 'into' diving the inshore artificial wrecks due to the much worse dive conditions 'inshore', with frequent underwater vis at major suckage levels, moreover, the inshore sites hold no attraction to a reef/critter diver.

With all due respect, I would like to agree with you to 'some points' in your analysis of the GoMTx. Granted its not the west coast/east coast or the Great Lakes, but it offers the new diver an opportunity to experience a salt water environment (of which I dislike except a few times a year---read my SB bio.). I am not big on artificial reefs myself as there are thousand of natural wrecks/structures to be examined AND discovered....both in fresh and salt waters in the USA and around the world if that is your thing.

By the way, your SB bio. provides no information....to my knowledge you might not even be a diver....hmmmmmm.

I am surprised and ashamed of everyone of you "me,me, me" people. You are missing a freaking dive trip while others have lost their entire livelihood. So the Fling decided to help out by providing bunks for clean up crews. At least they are contributing. I am sure they would much rather be running your trip then providing this service but environmental disasters happen. The "oil is not going to get to FG" crowd better pray a hurricane doesn't come barreling in and push this disaster west in the gulf. FG will be toast. Then what would the Fling do? Oh I am sure we would get the "Shame about the Flower Gardens and the Fling losing their business" thread and the "I guess I'm diving Mexico the next decade". thread. I believe a little support is warranted here not condemnation.

Just 2 weeks ago I asked if it was possible to get some more spots for our trip, and Sharon told me maybe, but if I take them I'm committed to paying for spots. I told her no problem. I guess they are just not committed to provide spots for us. I know I have just been blowing off steam and it isn't going to change anything. I just don't like the way they tried to put a spin on it. There are numerous hotels and condos, that have lots of room because of the tourists not coming because of the spill. And I am sure that some of the out of work fishing boats and fishermen would also like to help out. I just think the contract they make us sign when we get the spots should go both ways. I have had 2 other trips cancelled in past years due to weather, and understand that things happen that we can't control. I just don't like the attitude they showed to me. They said they may lose some divers over their decision, and well thats their choice. So I guess next year I will take my 20-30 divers to Cozumel, where there will be a lot of competition for my business, that's my choice.

well I know it sucks to have your trip canceled....

but it could have been worse....

You could have booked with Nekton and paid your money and gotten your trip canceled and No Refund....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom