Flower Gardens Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quickie Report for August 21 ~ 23, 2006

Day 1
Dive #1: West Bank Buoy #1
Vis: ~ 60'
Temp: @ Bottom 84f
Personal Profile: 78fsw for 51 min.
Comment: Reef dive. No pelagics. Glided over the small stuff.

Dive #2: West Bank Buoy #1
Vis: ~ 60'
Personal Profile: 95fsw for 60 min.

Dive #3: High Island - 389A (Best Rig Dive in the World)
Vis: ~ 80'
Temp: 84f @ 80fsw
Personal Profile: 80fsw for 43 min.(Limited to 80' by Gulf Diving LLC. Bottom was ~400')
Comment: Rig Dive. Awesome dive! Hung out with Hawksbill turtle. Saw barracuda, shark, and tons-o-fish.

Dive #4: East Bank Buoy #4
Vis: ~80'
Personal Profile: 77fsw for 60 min.

Dive #5: East Bank Buoy #4
Vis: ~60'
Personal Profile: 76fsw for 50 min.
Comment: Night dive on reef. Great dive! Saw so much I could never list it all.

Day 2
Dive #6: East Bank Buoy #1
Personal Profile: 111fsw for 61 min.
Comment: Awesome reef dive. Highlight was a giant manta ray that did a beautiful fly-by.

Dive #7: Stetson Bank Buoy #3
Vis: ~70'
Personal Profile: 101fsw for 60 min. (Yes, I busted the 100fsw limit. :( )
Comment: Reef dive. Saw a stingray and the usual critters.

Dive #8: Stetson Bank Buoy #3
Comment: I had to sit this dive out since I busted the 100fsw limit on the previous dive. Gulf Diving LLC mandates a 130fsw limit for your first dive of the day and 100fsw on all dives thereafter.

Dive #9: Stetson Bank Buoy #3
Temp: @ Bottom 86f
Personal Profile: 73fsw for 58 min.
Comment: Night dive on reef. Saw two eels, crabs, fireworms, and a bunch of other life.

Tested/compared the Heser and Photon Torpedo LED lights during this dive much to the dismay of my dive buddy. :D The group said I looked like a freakin' football stadium with the all the lights I had (includes my Salvo 24watt HID light :D ) with me on the night dive. The Heser and Torpedo have very similar brightness. The only practical difference I could find was that the Torpedo had a much tighter beam which would be better suited for cave diving (signaling). However, you can signal with the Heser just as well and would probably be better suited to wreck diving. I own a Heser and know that the 3 C batteries can keep it lit for at least three solid days!

Day 3
Dive #10: Stetson Bank Buoy #1
Personal Profile: 104fsw for 63 min.
Comment: Saw a stingray taking it easy on the reef. The usual critters were out as well.

Dive #11: Stetson Bank Buoy #1
Personal Profile: 90fsw for 65 min.
Comment: Great last dive. Got lots of pics of everyone.

A group from Zendiving.com boarded the M/V Fling on Sunday for a special three day trip during the week. Although I have next to no biological padding, I used a full 3mm wet suit and was comfortable with this dive schedule. The weather was absolutely some of the best weather the Gulf has ever seen for diving. It couldn't have been any better. There was no hurling to speak of. :D We all had a great time with lots of laughs. The Captains, cooks, and Dive Masters were awesome.

It was a special trip for me since I broke 100 hours of bottom time on my last dive.

A ton of my pics can be found here.

Enjoy!

Richard

Nice report Richard...thanks for sharing.......... nice picture of Tina (she made it to the Gardens!)PS--now while you were in the "corner' did you take advantage of snacking on the great treats they fix!

texdiveguy:
PS--now while you were in the "corner' did you take advantage of snacking on the great treats they fix!

No worries. I can pack away the groceries. :D But, when I was in "timeout", I spent the time getting pics of the gang jumping in and coming back up. I sat for maybe ten minutes. I also spent time talking shop with Chris and Kenny (Dive Masters) waiting on the folks coming back up.

Great report. Glad you had such a great trip. So you're saying that was better than Tenkiller right. :)

FWIW, here is what I get trying to view the photos. "You do not have permission to view the images in this category."

Willie

wet-willie:
Great report. Glad you had such a great trip. So you're saying that was better than Tenkiller right. :)

FWIW, here is what I get trying to view the photos. "You do not have permission to view the images in this category."

Willie

I keep forgetting you have to register to view the Photo Gallery. It's free. Go here. After you register, hit the link above again.

PacketSniffer:
I keep forgetting you have to register to view the Photo Gallery. It's free. Go here. After you register, hit the link above again.
Great picts Rich. Thanks for posting.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom