Flying after diving... what if it's shallow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Theoretically, you can't get bent at 10,20, or 30 feet"

Theoretically, you can get bent at 15 feet, believe it or not.

Really, based on what?

I do not think any of the dissolved gas models support this. And remember those models are grounded by animal and human subject studies. They are a bit more than just theory. If there is a basis for this statement I would like to hear it.

Also at least the VPM version of the bubble models does not support this. I ran VPM for a 25 foot dive for 3200 minutes (a saturation dive) and it shows no required decompression. The pressure swing from 25 feet to surface is about the same as going from 15 feet to a plane at altitude. I do have an older version of VPM. It would be interesting to repeat this in VPM-B, RGBM and decoplanner.

Wow! Some good responses here, thanks.

I have a buddy who is flying down to Ft. Lauderdale for a long guys weekend of diving in South Florida. Mostly we'll be shore diving, but will probably do a charter dive on Saturday. Since he flies back Monday a.m., and will only have 3 full days to dive (Fri, Sat, Sun), I'm just trying to see if doing shore dives (15' fsw average) would be safe on Sunday. According to the tables, we'll be fine observing a 12-hour NO-FLY window.

Back
Top Bottom