Flying after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivtup

Reaction score
So,

I have 2 dives planned for Saturday, both dives are only going to be in the 50 - 60 foot range. The second dive will be complete around 3:00 P.M. Saturday.

So, my employer decides I need to fly out on Sunday morning at 6:15.

So the question is,

PADI requires a minimum 12 hour surface interval before flying, except after daily multiple dives, then the requirement is 12 hours of more (read to mean 24 hours).

Since I am still fairly new at this (10 dives) I am just wanting to get an additional opinion,

Thanks in advance.

Don
(Not Iguana Related)

Dear Don:

There currently is not a good algorithm (= calculation method) for flying after diving. DAN is conducting a study in this area and it will require several years before completion. When NASA astronauts were faced with a similar problem of diving at the Marshal Space Fight Center and then flying back to Houston, they added a period of oxygen breathing. This is probably not an easy option for you, and it is probably not necessary. Since I do not have any models for this question, I can only say “probably.”

One notes that in you case you will be sleeping for much of the time following the dives and the flight. This inactivity is not good for promoting regional blood flow and nitrogen washout. Walking around before sleep would aid in nitrogen washout and give the time necessary for tissue micronuclei (from the walking) to redissolve.

Dr Deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom