Flying after diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read many articles about flying after diving and everyone has mixed reviews. DAN recomomends 18hrs and the golden rule has been 24. I have a up coming trip this weekend and wanted to get in a few dives while there. My profile is going to be a 3 tank no deco dive using EAN with a max depth of 100'. Followed by another 2 tank day of diving using EAN with a detph of 75'. My flight is sceduled to leave with a SI of 19 hrs. Then I read this new article in DAN's Alert Diver that just came in the mail. Alert Diver | Flying After Diving what is everyones thoughts?
No such thing as a golden rule.

DAN has 3 recommended guidelines: Scuba Diving Health & Fitness | Dive Medicine | Flying & Diving | Ask DAN | Scuba Diving
12 hours
18 hours
24 to 48 hours

It appears you are within the 18 hour guideline. Go for it! I do not care (as long as you are not on the same plane as me....)

Personally I think it is a fools game to use my flabby, overweight, run down, middle-ish aged FAT body as a test subject for the extreme limits of anybody's dive tables. There is really no way of winning (even if you win, you lose?)

I take the opposite approach. Instead of trying to determine what is the maximum depth I can do, I ask how shallow do I need to be to get the maximum bottom time?

It IS all about bottom time in my world! I never splash if I have to be back before 70 minutes. Whats the point?

Back
Top Bottom