Flying and Diving, bring me up to speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Ask MHK about his "hair still wet" fly-after-dive rule.

At least one GUE instructor's teaching is that, if you have properly done your decompression, then you can fly immediately.

I do-it-right and take a more conservative approach.

Charlie,

This guy is actually TEACHING that???:wacko: :confused:

Just how many lawsuits does he think he, his lawyer, and his insurance agent can handle????=-)

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
This guy is actually TEACHING that???:wacko: :confused:
I don't know what he is telling his classes, but on rec.scuba he repeatedly has said this is his practice. "As I noted that if you want to follow DAN's recommendation then by all means feel free to do so. We just feel that it
is unnecessarily conservative.." --- MHK says this in a thread about DIRF class in Huntsville. I don't know who the "We" is.

http://tinylink.com/?7nyPMN8GZ7

or

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...-8&oe=UTF-8&as_uauthors=MHK&lr=&num=100&hl=en

He has also advocated this to someone who is questioning a Tobago dive shop recommendation that they fly at 10PM after monring dives:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=w....2339422305@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com&rnum=3

MHK: "DAN recommends 12 hours, down from their previous recommendation of 24 hours. On almost any given weekend I can be found getting out of the water and rushing to an airport, often times with my hair and my gear still dripping wet and that is often times after very deep and lengthy decompression dives, so I wouldn't worry too much about doing a few recreational dives and jumping on a puddle jumper..."

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I don't know what he is telling his classes, but on rec.scuba he repeatedly has said this is his practice. "As I noted that if you want to follow DAN's recommendation then by all means feel free to do so. We just feel that it
is unnecessarily conservative.." --- MHK says this in a thread about DIRF class in Huntsville. I don't know who the "We" is.

BigJetDriver69,

You should take the time to read the entire line of conversation yourself. MHK very specificly does NOT recomend flying after diving for 99% of the diving population. The quotes are taken far out of context.

James

James Goddard once bubbled...

BigJetDriver69,

You should take the time to read the entire line of conversation yourself. MHK very specificly does NOT recomend flying after diving for 99% of the diving population. The quotes are taken far out of context.

James

James, et al,

My comment was about an as-yet un-named instructor. Whomever he might be is obviously free to advocate any darned thing he wants. My comment about vulnerability to lawsuits still stands, as written!

As for MHK, if he gets away with doing so, and one of his students does NOT, it will be shown in court that, having set the example by his position and behavior, he cannot then argue: "Well, I TOLD them to do otherwise!" On second thought, he can so argue, but Civil Courts, having the tenor that they seem to these days, will most certainly NOT buy that argument!

Further, if it can be shown in court that he actually PUBLISHED the remarks attributed to him above, his defense team will not have the proverbial snowball's chance in Hades!=-)

As for MHK, if he gets away with doing so, and one of his students does NOT, it will be shown in court that, having set the example by his position and behavior, he cannot then argue: "Well, I TOLD them to do otherwise!" On second thought, he can so argue, but Civil Courts, having the tenor that they seem to these days, will most certainly NOT buy that argument!

I think his statements are pretty well explained. I also think that those few who meet the criteria he spells out are highly unlikely to ever have the least bit of problem. If an instructor points out, however, that you can do something safely if you do a, b, and c and you leave out b and file suit, you would not get my vote on a jury.

Yet you go further to imply that by his very actions of flying after diving as an instructor makes him neglegent wether he teaches such things or not. Under what leagal precident is an instructor bound to practice what he teaches or in any way responsible as an instructor for actions he takes outside of the student-instructor environment?

(QUOTE)
MHK: "DAN recommends 12 hours, down from their previous recommendation of 24 hours. On almost any given weekend I can be found getting out of the water and rushing to an airport, often times with my hair and my gear still dripping wet and that is often times after very deep and lengthy decompression dives, so I wouldn't worry too much about doing a few recreational dives and jumping on a puddle jumper..." [/QUOTE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

James, et al,

I would guess, from the strength of your response that MHK is a good friend of yours. I do not know him, and, without meaning to be nasty, because I don't know him, it matters not to me whether or not he gets sued. I would hope that he does not.

If he jumps out of the water from deep and lengthy decompression dives, and goes flying with his hair still wet and gets away with it to this point, hey, more power to him.

But IF, (and please make note of that caveat), these ARE his words as related above, then he is being COMPLETELY irresponsible. Such advice flies in the face of current procedure, and certainly in the face of common sense!

If those are, in fact, his words of advice, he does not stand a chance in bloody Hell in Civil Court these days. When you can be awarded a massive judgement for ordering hot coffee, and then spilling it on yourself, what chance would he have to defend himself against a suit for physical damage and mental anguish caused by someone following his advice???

Think about it!!! =-)

I do not know MHK. Though if he ever comes to St. Louis I'll glady take a class from him.

Obviously you did not take my advice and read the entire thread so, there is really no point in aguing with your. You have none of the facts and I have no desire to paste an entire usenet thread here to give them to you.

Oh, and sometime you should also read the facts of the McDonald's coffee case, you like to throw around.

James Goddard once bubbled...
Obviously you did not take my advice and read the entire thread so, there is really no point in aguing with your. You have none of the facts and I have no desire to paste an entire usenet thread here to give them to you.
No need to post the entire thread. I posted a link. In the case of flying after diving in Tobago, I posted MHK's ENTIRE response. His ONLY post in the thread. How is that out of context?

Obviously YOU didn't read those threads. In particular, http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...339422305%40newssvr15.news.prodigy.com&rnum=3 is a case where MHK is giving advice to a diver he has never met. MHK may or may not know what altitude the hop from Tobago will go to. But he's content to give the advice: ", so I wouldn't worry too much about doing a few recreational dives and jumping on a puddle jumper..."

OK, so lets look at the context of the 2nd link. Hmmmm. There's seems to be a pattern here. Here's another post by MHK:"Then you missed what I said.. I said there is very little, if any,
"credible" evidence that dispositively proves that flying post diving causes problems... "

You can interpret "dispositively" as you wish.

Here's a post MHK made in a rec.scuba thread on the GUE rec triox class: " DAN's recommendation about 24 or 12 hours is BS, I just did a US Navy study at DAN, they know better, but they just don't publish it..

MHK has posted that he played a key role in developing the GUE rec triox course, and has posted many interesting comments about CO2, He, etc. Different views of decompression interest me. The MHK/GUE view of various deco issues are rather different and interesting.

One should read the material and make up your own mind as to whether or not there is credible evidence that "dispostively" shows that flying post diving causes problems.

Back
Top Bottom