Flying, and PT-010/C4040

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am excitedly going to Hawaii in three weeks (yeah!).

Question about flying with the housing and all.

I am planning on putting the camera inside the housing and flying out with it like that.

I know there was talk in the past about pressure differences locking up the housing and what not.

Question is, will it be fine if I just leave the o-ring out and close the housing?

What do I need to do with this?

Thanks,

AD

You ARE taking your camera and housing in your carry on, right? If so, you can put your camera in the housing, just don't latch it closed. If not, do NOT put your camera in the housing. Not only because of the pressures and temperatures, but because of the rouch way baggage is handled.

One of the photgs on another board checked his camera inside the housing, inside a Pelican case. Something happened to his case, being thrown around or something heavy landing on it, strong enough to crack his housing and drive the camera buttons into the camera. So even the Pelican cases aren't total safe for your gear.

Right. I'm planning on carrying it on.

So you're saying not to do the latch on the side?

I was basically asking if it would be fine closed as long as there was no o-ring in the housing, but if I'm reading this right you are saying to just leave it unlatched?

AD

Whenever I fly with the 010 or 015, I remove the o rings, put them in a plastic baggie, put them insiude the housing, along with other sundries (that won't damage the inside, i.e., fiber optic cables), and latch it

If you do leave the orings in, don't latch it.

I prefer the former method.

Chris

I assumed that when traveling I'd take my new camera in a camera bag so that I could take "regular" photos except while diving -- sounds like a lot of you take only underwater shots or none while traveling.

Despite the weight, I'm leaning toward getting a Pelican 1520 case to hold my housing, tray, strobe, arms, lenses, etc., with the intention of keeping it with me as a carry-on. I'm also thinking of getting a yellow case -- I know that it might draw the attention of a thief, but it will also be harder to disguise then when walking away with a black or silver case. (orange, anyone?)

I enjoy all of your comments, observations, and suggestions. They're quite helpful for us newbies (is that the right name for a beginner?). Have also enjoyed the photos you post. I've especially liked all of the technical information included with Gilligan's, as I am trying to get ideas as to just what combinations to try when I actually get into the water in Roatan next January.

Thanks, Joe

I actually bought a camcorder case from Bestbuy for my housing/camera.

It fits the housing just right (snug fit) to where it won't slide around in there.

There's enough outer pockets for me to put the batteries, memory cards, charger, charger transformer, miscellaneous cables (for if I want to port the photos to a tv using the Olympus cable), and the instruction manual for the camera.

There's also another pouch on the bag that I can fit all my housing stuff (o-rings, silicon grease, rags for cleaning, etc.) into.

I like the setup, and when I'm out without the housing, my c4040 still fits in there well.

Thanks for the advice on flying, the o-ring thing was what I was mainly getting at.

AD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom