Flying from RTB through SAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ka3mgh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone

What experience have you had flying from Roatan and having a stop over in SAP on the way home?

Been pricing flights from Memphis and the best price I have found has a stop on the way home in SAP for roughly 90 minutes. Is this airport safe? Is 90 minutes enough time to clear customs/immigration?

The difference I have found in pricing flights is roughly $100 a person with the stop in SAP versus going straight from RTB back to the US.

Thanks
Jamie

I may be wrong, but since you will be flying from RTB to SAP, you won't be leaving Honduras. I don't think you would have to deal with customs/immigration until you get back into the U.S. - just my guess.

Yup. It's still Honduras.

Well, I haven't done that but for me I don't think it would be worth saving $100 bucks. For me it would be worth it to just take one flight and not worry about having something happen to miss the flight. Non-stop is the way to go for me.

I've flown through SAP three times in the past three years and never had any problems. You'll have to go through check in then go stand in line to pay the departure tax. Head upstairs, clear security and you're away, easy peasy. An hour and a half should be ample time. Yes, the airport is safe and outside of airport staff bumming cigarettes off of me, I've never had any "problems"

There is one concern if you are flying an airline that uses TACA/Avianca as their local partner. I was booked on United/TACA back in November & the Roatan airport was closed in the morning the day I was to leave due to high winds. TACA cancelled all their flights that day & rerouted their planes to other schedules, even though the airport opened later. They told me I had no choice but to come back the next day, even though American Airlines was checking passengers in right at the next desk. I had to be in Canada the next day so I was forced to pay for a one way flight on American to Miami & red-eye to Vancouver in order to make it. I was in the air within 60 minutes while TACA was still telling all their passengers to come back tomorrow. TACA/Avianca wasn't willing to help in any way & United was closed as they had no flights of their own that day. Moral of the story, don't count on flights through SPS if you have a tight schedule.

Back
Top Bottom