Info Pet Rescue Roatan needs you to carry a critter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Here’s the deal: they give you a crated animal at departure luggage check in RTB, somebody meets you at the airport in the States and takes it off your hands. No cost, no paperwork for you, just saving a life.

Here’s a screenshot of their FB page because the link won’t play nice….

IMG_7345.jpeg

This is a little confusing, but their post on anothrr board:

You may or may not know that the founder of Roatan Rescue abruptly left the island, leaving 200 cats and over 300 dogs with almost no care. Volunteers have stepped up on island and are working with stateside organizations to try to get needs met for the animals. This is a dire situation.

Flight Angels of Roatan is in need of visitors flying back to the states to help transport cats. this is something that is so very easy to do and a very rewarding way to give back. I will post their request from their Facebook page if anybody is willing to reach out. We try to transport animals on most of our vacations, and it is so easy and free….

“Calling all ANGELS!! Time to rally, we need to help save the cats of Roatán and the shelter that has 200 cats!!! I need to fly the healthy kittens out so I can take on the sick and save as many as I can from the shelter!

What I need: I need people flying to states ( southern states are tough with over population) but reach out I may have a rescue!

I need a flight to Florida ASAP! Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, last is Miami to get 2 sisters to Florida.

Parameters : no flights from Mainland only from Roatán. Regional carriers will not take cats from Roatán to mainland but they will take dogs and chickens🤯

No standby: paperwork has to be done for specific flight. If that flight is not matching paperwork cat does not leave.

Please help me help the cats! It is no cost to you I handle everything and deliver cat to airport and walk you through everything!!

A couple days notice to get paperwork, any vet visits, airline reservation, and confirmation of a rescue to take them.

PLEASE reach out today! Share with friends, clients, guests!“

PSA: If any of you are regular donors to Roatan Rescue, you need to try to stop your payments. The founder still has the website up and able to receive donations even though she is off island and the organization is no more.

Rescue the Rescue Animal Shelter is the new group of volunteers trying to fix this mess.

As if I needed another reason to go back!
Maybe 2024

Reactions: Doc
Good for you Doc for advocating this. I've only been to Roatan once and the condition and abundance of apparently "homeless" pets was disturbing to say the least. This effort may be a good reason to return.

Already got 4 cats, so I can't adopt one more--but I did reach out to their FB page (before I saw the direct e-mail) to see if I can help fly a cat to the US on 9/9/2023.

I sure do hope this is a legit operation. Yes, rescuing a cat is a very good thing to do. I cant help but hear that airport announcement in my head, and the baggage screeners question. Do not accept items from a stranger. Did anyone ask you to take anything on the plane? Am I really going to meet a stranger at the departures curbside and check their bag (containing an animal and what else) and then tell the airline, TSA, and customs that that is MY bag.

They have previously walked carriers to the baggage agent with the visitor. The airlines have seen this before. You’ll have paperwork and a single layer plastic carrier. Obviously harmless.

Worried about drugs? Here’s me and my kittah…
IMG_0294.jpeg

Angie C, the person who runs Flight Angels of Roatan, found a local rescue (CARMA) who would take more than one cat, but I wasn't too sure about carrying two (by hand) while security was screening the cat carrier... So, she arranged for one cat, and did all the paperwork in advance. We met on the way to RTB airport; she hand-walked the Honduras customs export paperwork, the American Airlines "pet as carry-on" paperwork (and paid the pet fee); and handed me a soft-sided carrier along with a ziploc bag with cat treats and extra care supplies.

At the DFW airport, I asked to be screened separately. After they screened me, they took all my stuff to a small room, where I took the cat out of the carrier. They proceeded to x-ray the carrier and brought it back and sent me on my way. I stopped in a family restroom, where I let the cat out to stretch and have a bit of a snack.

The rescue met me at ABQ airport and picked up the cat.

For those of you who are facebookers (or meta-ers?), here is the post from Angie C.

Facebook-post-from-Flight-Angels-of-Roatan

Finally, a few extra photos: Stella (the kitten), me, and Barbara, the director of CARMA at ABQ airport, and a baby spotted drum, where my photography was really "point, pray, and shoot (but not necessarily in that order)."

BabySpottedDrum.JPG
20230909kitten_abq.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom