Flying Gurnard Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fogtownboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have info on where to see flying gurnards when diving Maui? We love diving Maui but in five years I have yet to see one. TIA.

Does anyone have info on where to see flying gurnards when diving Maui? We love diving Maui but in five years I have yet to see one. TIA.
Pretty sure Flying Gurnards only indigenous to the Atlantic Ocean. However there are

Oriental Flying Gurnard (aka Helmet Gurnard) - Flying Gurnard (Dactyloptena orientalis)​

Seen in 1.22% of all REEF surveys in the HAW region. So only once every 80 surveys or so. Once you click on the link below, hit the "expand all" button to see the exact sites of were they have been observed by REEF surveyors.

Distribution Report | Reef Environmental Education Foundation

PS You can do this for any species of fish in all ten regions where REEF surveys have been submitted. Go to www.reef.org, click programs, click explore database/create reports. You can also go to www.inaturalist.org put the species in the search box, and hit map. Zoom on Maui in the link below.

It was random, but Maui is where we saw them, I do not recall a site name.

Pretty sure Flying Gurnards only indigenous to the Atlantic Ocean. However there are

Oriental Flying Gurnard (aka Helmet Gurnard) - Flying Gurnard (Dactyloptena orientalis)​

Seen in 1.22% of all REEF surveys in the HAW region. So only once every 80 surveys or so. Once you click on the link below, hit the "expand all" button to see the exact sites of were they have been observed by REEF surveyors.

Distribution Report | Reef Environmental Education Foundation

PS You can do this for any species of fish in all ten regions where REEF surveys have been submitted. Go to www.reef.org, click programs, click explore database/create reports. You can also go to www.inaturalist.org put the species in the search box, and hit map. Zoom on Maui in the link below.

I have seen them in Indonesia. So they are in Pacific Ocean too.

I have seen them in Indonesia. So they are in Pacific Ocean too.
To be clear there are five species of "Flying Gurnard" according to Inaturalist. Notice the only one with the common name "Flying Gurnard" is the one indigenous to the Atlantic and Mediterranean Sea. As opposed to "______ Flying Gurnard" which are all indigenous to Pacific or Indian Oceans. Thusly my statement "Pretty sure Flying Gurnards only indigenous to the Atlantic Ocean." Obviously the common names cause some confusion. Nevertheless, the OP has a list of sites from REEF where "Oriental Flying Gurnards" have been observed in Maui.

Flying Gurnard - (Dactylopterus volitans) Indigenous to Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea

Oriental Flying Gurnard - (Dactylopena orientalis) Indigenous to Pacific and Indian Oceans
Mottled Flying Gurnard - (Dactylopena macracantha) Indigenous to Pacific and Indian Oceans
One Spine Flying Gurnard - (Dactylopena petersenis) Indigenous to Pacific and Indian Oceans
Large Spot Flying Gurnard - (Dactylopena papilio) Indigenous to Pacific Ocean

Didn't see them in Maui but many times in Magic Island Lagoon at Ala Moana beach park on Oahu. I studied marine biology and found this little oasis of different marine life and studied it quite a bit. Not the best visibility but very cool dive if marine life is the objective. 😊

Back
Top Bottom