Flying home after DCS treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blastman4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got bent you can read it in the other post but wanted to see if anyone else that has gotten DCS flew home after the 72 hour wait time they recommend after my last treatment had issues. I got some conflicting answers from the folks at the hospital but standard they said was 72 hours. Please post if you have been though DCS I had type 2 still have little skin tingles but doc's think it's just tissue swelling or nerve shock need time to heal. I had 3 rids in the chamber 1 5 hour 2 90min dives.

I did there answer is they have seen some get symptoms again after flying, but most don't. They recommend if there is a way to drive it is better to do that it's just not practical for me it would take too long. Just wondering if anyone here that has experienced DCS how they recovered. Would be nice if we had a forum for only divers who have experienced DCS .

Kell, it sounds like you've been released - good to hear! :hugs:

If you are concerned, perhaps wait another 24 hours?

I had a DCS2 hit in 2004, in Grand Cayman. 6 table 6 "rides", etc.
I had to wait the 72 hours after the last treatment before I was cleared to fly.
I still had symptoms-fatigue, paresthesia (?sp)-the tingling,"pins and needles" feelings in lower legs and feet)-before the flight, and they persisted for approx 6+ months after returning home. The flight itself, however caused NO increase in the symptoms.
Good luck with your recovery.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to Diving Medicine for better exposure to our medical staff.

The recommended wait time to fly is 72 hours after treatment with complete symptom resolution. It gets a little fuzzy if you still have symptoms. Although the bubbles are gone, hypoxia induced by increased altitude (the nominal cabin altitude of a commercial airliner is 8000') can cause a return of symptoms in tissue that still has some circulatory compromise, i.e. "tissue swelling or nerve shock". If you have concerns, you may want to consider asking the treating physician to have you fly home using supplemental oxygen.
Best regards,
DDM

The only symptoms I might have is what you call circulatory if I sit in one spot my lower legs get a little tingling when I stand up it goes away it will be over 72 hrs since I had the last treatment last 90 min chamber ride on Tuesday 2am and Ill be flying out tomorrow Saturday at 7:10am. It's our last day here not sure if Ill have time to get o2 bottle setup for the flight home.

Re the O2: if you can get the Dr. to put in writing that you need the O2, it might expedite things with the airlines.
Good Luck, and best wishes for a complete recovery.

Think about Amtrak. Amtrak
Ok so that takes several days (Sun-Thu), scenic tour to DC then onto Phoenix via Chicago:shakehead:?...

Greyhound, probably not as comfortable, but shorter (Fri Nite to Mon am):depressed:.

Good luck man. We don't have many options :idk:in the US when traveling cross country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom