Flying home after DCS treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called the doc they said I don't need O2 they send people home all the time after 72 hours and no issues. He said my hit was on the lighter side. I passed all the motor skills test what I call the drunk driving tests. I'm just going to make sure I hydrate well for the trip home I have never had any issues at high alt we snow board in the winter in Southern CO at Wolf Creek and that is 10-11k so I'm hoping my lungs will keep up enough. Ill post let you guys know how it turns out. I looked into AmTrak still have to drive 1000 miles to get where they pick up a line to the west either southern or northern if I took north it goes over 8k to flagstaff I would have to drive home from there so southern would be the only low alt route it starts in New Orleans about 1000 miles from southern FL.

Kell: Glad to hear you have been cleared and seem to be on the way to recovery. Do let us know. Best wishes.

Thanks for he words It was a scary situation I hope none of you ever have to experience just don't think about DCS until it happens. I have found it's not tables or computers that can get you it's proper rest and hydration. I spent a lot of time think about tables and computers ascent rates not that those are not important but I totally forgot about hydration, and proper rest which can bend anyone.

Thanks for he words It was a scary situation I hope none of you ever have to experience just don't think about DCS until it happens. I have found it's not tables or computers that can get you it's proper rest and hydration. I spent a lot of time think about tables and computers ascent rates not that those are not important but I totally forgot about hydration, and proper rest which can bend anyone.

Yup. A wake call for me. I really never flew while I dived. Never gave it a thought. A few years ago, my daughter was doing travel volley ball and her open water at the same time. Were due to fly out after her first two dives. then she says "Dad..what about flying after diving?" Crap! I started clicking and hammering and decided it was ok. Having read your posts...we might have stayed home.

Made it home felt weak and my left hand fingers started to tingle as the plane ascended to cruse it wasn't fun I started to panic little but tried to stay calm and breath deep after awhile. After about 30 minutes started to get better helped that I turned the air on above me got some fresh air maybe less CO plane was full. A few times I felt my fingers tingle and my head was feeling kind of strange but I made it. I don't think it was anxiety from before but could have been some. Just wanted to get it over took 4 1/2 hours hope this doesn't happen I would like to go snow boarding this winter which is 10k feet high.

Glad you are finally home and sleeping in your own bed. I'm sure that alone will greatly speed up your recovery.

Glad that you got home without any major problems.
As one who has "been there, done that", some advice: please rest, take things easy, and listen to your Drs.
You might want to discuss their feelings on snowboarding in a few months, especially at 10k ft.
(No frame of reference for that, but I was much less than 100% for at least 4 months.)
Again, best of luck and wishes for a complete recovery.

I have found it's not tables or computers that can get you it's proper rest and hydration. I spent a lot of time think about tables and computers ascent rates not that those are not important but I totally forgot about hydration, and proper rest which can bend anyone.

That's very true,and some other things as well.

Only time I was ever on a dive where someone got bent it was from being cold (flooded drysuit) and exertion immediately after the dive (carrying large steel tank uphill). The computer was happy. The diver was not.

Our protocol used to be treat until symptoms are gone or until there is no more improvement. No-fly time is at least 72 hours after discharge. That said my boyfriend is flying 16 hours after diving. (ie Tomorrow morning.) The 2 dives weren't particularly strenuous or challenging. However, the 5-10 minute (depending on load you're carrying and thus speed) climb/trek to and from dive site to car was. I figure if he's not bent by now he'll be ok tomorrow. Nevertheless, I've reminded him that they have a fantastic chamber facility where he's headed to (Stockholm)! :D

16 hours huh well all I can say is I thought the same as your BF look what it got me. You know after the dives I drove back to the hotel as fast as I could because checkout I had extended until 1pm I had to rinse all my gear, pack 6 large bags the room was a mess my wife hadn't really done much except get her stuff ready. We drove all the way back 130 miles from key west to Fort Lauderdale. We stopped on the way a bunch of times to buy stuff like shirts. We took a scenic helicopter ride around Marathon. We didn't get to the airport hotel until 11:30 pm that night. It takes a long time to drive 130 miles on A1A lot of areas you can't go over 40-45. Had to clean up the mini van we rented it was trashed by then had to return it at 5am the next morning. Went to bed at midnight got up at 3:45am still felt great except tired but no DCS issues. So I can tell you flying before 24hours is just pushing your luck I never felt any DCS until we hit 5k feet in the cabin. The flight crew debated to land or not I'm assuming they had no idea how much trouble I was in I'm sure they see folks freak out on planes they give them a some O2 and keep going. I noticed on Flighttrackker they really didn't make a change until a doctor told them they need to land. I had told the flight attendant several times they need to descend I'm experiencing Decompression sickness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom