focus light or no focus light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One vote for the LaLuz 800. It is very compact & has a lovely even beam. It is also below your price point, even with spare battery & red filter.

One vote for the LaLuz 800. It is very compact & has a lovely even beam. It is also below your price point, even with spare battery & red filter.

My main concern is that it's only been around for a short time so not much feedback on how well it holds up with a lot of use.
Other concern is that it has to be shipped back to Hong Kong for any warranty work since they don't have any distributors.

Does seem like a great light though!

Not sure who you're responding to but flash should always be set to forced flash when diving with a slave to set it off.

I dive with a small rig (internal flash only). is set for forced flash and macro in (M, A, and S), but no flash in auto mode.

Bruce

I'm looking to add a focus light to my xz-1 right now and I dive only tropical waters.... need it to get the AF to really do it's job when shooting macro.

Initially thought of getting something inexpensive for now like the nano focus torch but the more I look the more the price goes up.... thoughts have been the laluz 800, i-torch mini (just not sure I want to rotate for off/on) then sola 500 (but want red filter and not sure I like the idea of not being able to change batteries if I"m on a boat doing 4-5 dives before heading back to land.

Would enjoy hearing back with pros and cons from those that have used any of these lights.... or other suggestions. I definitely have decided NOT to go over the $300 point since I also have to add the cold shoe adaptor , etc. :)

Definitely want to keep it small since all my diving means leaving the US...

Leaving for my next trip the beginning of October so need to get an order in soon....

You don't rotate for on/off. You can rotate when out of the water to disconnect the battery but in the water you have the end cap screwed down and use the button on the end of the end cap to control on and off and the power settings. The rotation is just to ensure that the unit does not accidentally turn on and discharge when it is being transported.

stop looking and just see this and make a choice

Focus%u00252BLight%2BBeam%2BTest.jpg

and buy it from optic ocean sales... they are good guys.

While it's interesting to look at the side-by-side's, the above comparison does not help much with relative performance as a focus light (not video). Sure some have more intensity, a larger area of coverage, etc., but without testing on a camera, or an understanding & test of what's needed for (your) camera's AF function, the choice might as well be based on the color of the package.
If the area of interest is within the brackets, el-cheapo looks pretty good...

Back
Top Bottom