Focus/Video Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
Im off to Bunaken and Lembeh in March and would like to add a new light to my setup as the little Fantasea Nano doesnt have enough oomph !
I would like to be able to use the light for focus on my EPL2 setup, or as a video light for macro on my fiances compact camera. Ideally we would have the option of a red light option for those sensitive critters like Mandarin fish etc, but that can be via addon filter if necessary.
Anyways while I would love a Sola800P its out of my price range so need something to do a similar job at half the price....a tall order i guess. I have seen the Inon LE550W (bright, compact but only on/off) or the I-Torch Video Pro3 (Similar Specs to the Sola600P) advertised but any suggestions greatfully recieved.
I do have the option of mounting a torch rather than a specific focus/video light with an Ultralight bracket, but the LED Lenser Frogman I already have has a very narrow beam and not that bright (~75Lumen)
Suggestions welcome
Mooseman

I found the BigBlue FF1X5AFO to be a nice/economical* step up from the Nano I had. I don't think I would like anything "bigger", and the light seems more than bright enough (sometimes almost too bright?). I've only used it for 1 trip (25 dives), but so far- very happy with it. I will be adding/trying an optional (DIY) filter before next trip. *'found mine used, but also found good sale prices.

Go for the sola 500 it's not that expensive and imo the best lights available.

Go for the sola 500 it's not that expensive and imo the best lights available.

Unfortunately after everything else I have had to buy for this trip.....Even the Sola500 is nearly 2x my budget !
Need a viable alternative in a lower price bracket !
Mooseman

I have the big blue light 5w afo, is not bad for 150 usd, but is a little big.. and Yes the sola is expensive but 1/2 small.than the big blue..

Im thinking along the lines of the Itorch Pro Vid3 as its half the price of a Sola 600 and has similar specs including the red option. I can get a Sola500 for a similar price, but is it that much weaker? I could always retrofit a red filter to overcome that. Its strange I havent seen any comparisons between the Itorch and the Sola500 which is strange as they are similar priced, for that matter I havent seen much about the sola 500 at all. Damned budget !!!!

I'd definitely get the Sola 500 over the itorch. No comparison really. I was looking at the itorch and had a chance to compare them side by side before buying and wouldn't even consider the itorch over the sola. If there was no Sola it would be a viable option. It's well made but big and heavy with an awkward and big mounting system. I rarely use the red feature but you can make something to accomplish that need.

Light & Motion is a great product but i-Torch makes an very good product at it's price point. You may want to consider the new i-Torch Mini Pro at advertised 700 lumens. Comes with two batteries and a pop-on red filter. Worth a look.

the Mini Pro looks interesting. Wondering if there are brightness levels...I guess no since it's a twist on/off.

Edit: I see that it's listed as having 3 levels. Looks like a nice light, anyone have personal experience with it?

Looks as if it's the same price as the Sola 800.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom