Focus/Video Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
Im off to Bunaken and Lembeh in March and would like to add a new light to my setup as the little Fantasea Nano doesnt have enough oomph !
I would like to be able to use the light for focus on my EPL2 setup, or as a video light for macro on my fiances compact camera. Ideally we would have the option of a red light option for those sensitive critters like Mandarin fish etc, but that can be via addon filter if necessary.
Anyways while I would love a Sola800P its out of my price range so need something to do a similar job at half the price....a tall order i guess. I have seen the Inon LE550W (bright, compact but only on/off) or the I-Torch Video Pro3 (Similar Specs to the Sola600P) advertised but any suggestions greatfully recieved.
I do have the option of mounting a torch rather than a specific focus/video light with an Ultralight bracket, but the LED Lenser Frogman I already have has a very narrow beam and not that bright (~75Lumen)
Suggestions welcome
Mooseman

You might want to look at the new iTorch Pro-mini. Small, has 3 light level settings. Comes with both a separate red filter and a diffuser; one of which can store on the end of the light. Has a rechargeable battery and comes with a spare battery and a separate charger. Uses a YS mount that's included. It's rated at 700 lumins, but we think the output "real-world" is more like around 600. But it has plenty of power for such a small light. Price is $295.

mini-pro-1.jpg

Jack

Cheers Jack.
Have been looking for alternatives as the Sola 800s are out of budget. Hence looking at the Itorch video pro. The Pro-mini looks nice, strange it seems to overlap specs with the vid pro 3 ! They do seem to have a lot of very similar lights in their lineup though.
One thing i was wondering though...how do these compare to the Sola500P ? as thats in the same price range. I would have to retrofit a red filter for skittish critters, but I cant see that being too hard
Mooseman

I've been looking at the Bonica G8V15 lights.
You can't beat 1500 lumen lights for 375.00.
Eh, we'll see when tax money comes back. Lol

I've been looking at the Bonica G8V15 lights.
You can't beat 1500 lumen lights for 375.00.
Eh, we'll see when tax money comes back. Lol

They do look to have a lot of bang for your buck, a little heavy for mounting on a compact camera though. Will give them some consideration tho

I use a Fisheye LED Saber FIX LED BuB Light SABER

It has only 180 lumens on a 60 degree beam but I find it really good and small

I bought it from Reef photo costs $59 and you can also buy a YS adapter and shoe base FIX Mini BuB Light Saber with YS Mount and Rotary Hotshoe Base [fix.bub.set] - $128.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

My experience with mandarin fish is here Philippines Diving Moalboal December 201… at 7:20 you can see 3 mating scenes shot with this set up.

The mandarin fish really did not like even this one at 180 lumens. Not sure on 550 lumens even with a red filter

The technique I use is to cover the light with my hands and use the side to see when they are coming up and then they basically don't stop so you can beam them (with 180 lumens)

I also have a locline extension for my compact video rig and I am quite happy it can get in odd places it cost me less than $135 and is only good for macro but this is exactly what I wanted

Hi
Im off to Bunaken and Lembeh in March and would like to add a new light to my setup as the little Fantasea Nano doesnt have enough oomph !
I would like to be able to use the light for focus on my EPL2 setup, or as a video light for macro on my fiances compact camera. Ideally we would have the option of a red light option for those sensitive critters like Mandarin fish etc, but that can be via addon filter if necessary.
Anyways while I would love a Sola800P its out of my price range so need something to do a similar job at half the price....a tall order i guess. I have seen the Inon LE550W (bright, compact but only on/off) or the I-Torch Video Pro3 (Similar Specs to the Sola600P) advertised but any suggestions greatfully recieved.
I do have the option of mounting a torch rather than a specific focus/video light with an Ultralight bracket, but the LED Lenser Frogman I already have has a very narrow beam and not that bright (~75Lumen)
Suggestions welcome
Mooseman

Back
Top Bottom