Fogcutter Rust & Sharpening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FAW

Registered
Reaction score
Bought a Fogcutter this year and have been disappointed. I loved the design and thought it'd be a great combination of a sissor-like cutter and a knife.

It has three problems: 1) it isn't too sharp off the shelf, so I took it to a professional knife sharpener. He said he couldn't sharpen it--too hard; 2) It rusts very easily particularly in between the blades; 3) the nut is very hard to get off to take it apart, in fact it broke off when I tried.

Here's how it went after I bought it:

After a few dives, I noticed that it rusted even after thoroughly rinsing it in fresh water, drying and then coating it with food-grade silicone. When I tried to take it apart to clean off the rust), the bolt broke off.

I wrote the company and told them how readily it rusted. I also asked about a replacement bolt and nut since they were specially made for the knife. The dealer wrote back and said some rusting occurs with stainless steel and that it hadn't been a problem with the knife. He said they didn't stock the bolt and nut and had had no one complain about it breaking before.

When I persisted about the nut and bolt, he said he'd get some on hand and send me one. That was months ago, so recently I wrote the company back X 2 without any answer.

I looked around and finally found a stainless steel nut, bolt and lock washer that sort of fits to replace the original since the company apparently isn't going going to. However, the knife continues to rust very readily in spite of proper cleaning and drying. Plus, like I say, compared to other knives, it's not really that sharp. I going to try coating it with white grease before diving and see how that works.

Bottom line--I wouldn't buy this knife again. I'd opt for titanium. For sissors I'd carry a cheap pair of EMT sissors like you see at most dive shops now.

Rick
Salem, OR

Back
Top Bottom