fogged port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What housing? If it's poly, try keeping it covered during transport.

It's 40' in Florida now? :D

Where are you setting up the housing??? You need to be in a shady, dry environment... like an A/C room. Also, keep the housing out of sun, always cover it with a white towel or something similar on a boat if possible.

Is it fogging immediately or after several dives? Some housings don't have adequate air space around the camcorder inside the housing, so when you have it running for a long time it will heat up and may cause fogging. (I have seen this numerous times with small still cameras) Some people use moisture munchers for this.

:D

Winter air temp. in Fl. can be 40's or lower at night. First thing in the morning can still be 50's. Water temp. will be a constant 72. Told to take camera out of the housing to film opening on boat. In the water 45 to 60 minutes then 30 minute drive to next site and 30 minutes in water filming at second site.(This is usually when the port fogs.) Everyone back on boat, camera taken out of housing to get clearer above water shots. Probably not the heating issue mentioned. The camera has a power saver feature. If it is more of an issue for the poly housings, I can also use a Gates outfit.

I used to shoot with a Sony A1 in an Ikelite housing and it used to fog up pretty regularily. Best bet is to close the housing in front of an aircon unit (remember cold air cannot hold as much moisture). I also tried putting silica sachets in the bottom but I don't think they helped at all.
Cover the camera on the way to the site, I always used a wet towel and also only have the cam on when needed.
I believe the reason it does it with poly housings is that water will always collect / condense on a cold surface and generally the port is glass hence the fogging.

Good luck,

Jon

Winter air temp. in Fl. can be 40's or lower at night. First thing in the morning can still be 50's. Water temp. will be a constant 72. Told to take camera out of the housing to film opening on boat. In the water 45 to 60 minutes then 30 minute drive to next site and 30 minutes in water filming at second site.(This is usually when the port fogs.) Everyone back on boat, camera taken out of housing to get clearer above water shots. Probably not the heating issue mentioned. The camera has a power saver feature. If it is more of an issue for the poly housings, I can also use a Gates outfit.

Taking the camcorder in and out of housing is your problem. You are letting in humid air, which is a big no no. I know you don't want to hear that, but its the facts.
If this is going to be your usual habit - topside shots between dives, and you want the camcorder out of housing to do it - then you should buy a second camcorder, one to keep for just topside footage. That way the other camcorder stays IN the housing, and as I mentioned before and as did Jon, put the camcorder IN the housing in cooler a/c air which has lower humidity, and leave it there until you are done filming for day.

Also, taking your camcorder in and out of housing between dives you run a higher risk of flooding. Try to keep the chance of that to a minimum.

Humidity inside the housing will fog you every time, that is true of all housings - poly or aluminum!

I had the same feeling about the camera in and out of the housing. I get a ration from the shop owner about the topside shots not being clear enough if the camera isn't taken out of the housing. I also feel the same about the increase risk of flooding. They don't edit anything from the trip, shots from 2 cameras would not be possible. I had thought there might be something I could use to clean the lens and keep it from fogging. Maybe the same thing you would use on ski goggles to keep them from fogging.

Why are the topside shots not clear, you should be able to get clear shots through the housing port, it should be spotlessly clean.
I also agree with the others, i only load my cam into the housing in a aircond room (cool/low humidity an aircon works as a dehumidifier.) i also use moisture munchers and have never had a prob with fogging. If it is your cam tell the shop owner to get stuffed, it's not worth wrecking your system to make him happy!!
Mine is a small poly housing canon WP-V1 and HF200 cam.

Very simple solution, just put "silica gel" sachet inside your housing. It will never fog again. They come in a small sachet and can be used over and over again; as long as you dry them out in the sun once in awhile.

I would agree with the use of silica packets or tea bags to reduce moisture inside the housing. I've always found the best and most foolproof way is to set your camera up the night before and then leave it outside, or in an area which has the same ambient temp as you'll have on the way to the dive. Saying that, I mostly work in tropical conditions where the air temp is close to the water temp and it's a case of avoiding the camera getting too cold in an air con room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom