Foggy mask issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I bought a Scubapro Synergy 2 mask around mid 2019 from my local dive shop. I followed the directions from the shop for by using some cleaner they sold me. Went for a Cozumel trip right after and my mask fogged up on most, but not all dives. I tried baby shampoo as well, and a few other de foggers from fellow divers. While in Cozumel a worker from the same shop was there and he worked on it also to no avail. Since then we have been again to Cozumel and just got back from Gulf of Mexico. Again, nearly every dive it fogged up. I didn't use any sunscreen before diving because i was told that could be it.

I am at a loss, the mask feels great, and is comfortable, What can I do?

My last Mares mask lasted nearly 20 years of diving with no issues except age. I am now wanting to get prescription lenses. Please help!

There is an EPICLY long post on the forum on this topic with near scientific experiments to find the best defog method. You can check that out.

TLDR; Put your mask in the dishwasher without a heat-dry cycle.

Beyond that, I suggest getting some defog spray and a spare toothbrush. Spray and brush your mask lens with the brush before each dive. Never use your fingers as they spread oils and sunscreen that cause fogging.

I tried hard to read that whole excellent thread while it was going, made it to page 65 or so, but just couldn't do the whole thing. It kept getting longer! There are some fascinating bits of technical information on the physics/chemistry, and some great advice in there. Watching lowviz's experiments unfold along with the scubaboard collaborative process was awesome.

Did anyone ever write a consolidated post of notes and findings? I know ammonia-soaking was discussed the possible answer, was that confirmed or refuted? @lowviz is there a summary post?

here is the Scubapro mask style to look at for corrective lenses

s-l300.jpg

they should come almost fog free

The lighter method works great if you look close you can see the film melt off, once that is done then I gave it a little scrub with toothpaste

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom