Folding Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prskate2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Are they any good? They sound great, but will it live up to my expectations?

Are they any good? They sound great, but will it live up to my expectations?

Depends if you actually want to use it for real.

I descided on a plain old Omer-sub free diving snorkel. its bendable and can fold up, yet it works when I need it. of course it spends most of its time in my dive box.

The oceanic pocket snorkel works great and does what it's supposed to. THe velcro type clip thingie could be better. I replaced mine with an aftermarket quick release that works very well.

I have an Aqualung snap that's a pretty good rollup snorkel. Not made anymore, but they replaced it with the Nautilus which looks pretty similar. I'm probably going to get one for my husband. (He has the Apollo stowable, which is nice to use but doesn't come with a way to keep it folded. It also deforms when it's left folded too long. The tube of his is now permanently squished in 2 places and not so good to breath through, not good.)

If you snorkel a lot, you might prefer a regular snorkel for that than any of the foldups. I still have a TUSA Hyperdry and use that if I'm really just going snorkeling.

I have a Sherwood Avid, it does exactly what I want it too, it folds up and it is un noticeable in my pocket. I use it when I am involved with PADI classes, because PADI says you need to have one with you. But no one uses a snorkel in cold water.

I have a Tilos folding snorkel from Pinnacle. It does what it's ment to do. I use it on my Kirby Morgan full face mask during classes or if I think I will be doing any long surface swims. It's a shame it did not come with a case or some sort of strap to clip it off with.

Thanks for all the answers. Any more? Why is a regular snorkel better?

I use an Apollo folding snorkel. It folds into thirds, and I keep it folded with a rubber band. I carry it in a drysuit pocket with other bits, or a waist pouch if I'm diving wet (I use a backplate and wing, so no BCD pockets). After the dive I unfold it so it doesn't take a set.

It works great, way better than a bunch of other folding or collapsing snorkels I've tried. I routinely use it for recreational snorkeling, too. It has a purge valve and a very good clip for attaching it to the mask strap.

We both have folding ones and they work for what we use them for, back up. If you like to snorkel in addition to diving, folding snorkels aren't very good in my opinion. I've loved snorkeling for years and with the folding one I end up with too much salt water in my stomach! That said, I love the folding one for diving because I was always getting my reg. snorkel caught in my BC and reg. set up. I'd freak out that I was caught on something. Having the folding snorkel just freed up my diving, but I still have a snorkel on the ready if I need one.

Back
Top Bottom