Follow a Single Mom's Journey to Becoming a Commercial Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnlineScuba

Registered
Reaction score
rosie_scubablog.thumbnail.jpg
We were looking for scuba related stories recently that hopefully would help explain why Scuba Diving can be a passion for many. I know that my story was similiar when I became a Scuba Diver and then onto Instructor, but we decided to add other people's interesting stories of how scuba diving has affected them.

Case in point, Rosie, who has a story that I think everyone should hear. She is a single Mom who is going to become a commercial diver, but she has to get certified first. She has just started the PADI Open Water Course and will go into commercial diving this year. Talk about ambition!! What a great story.:D

Rosie could use some encouragement and I know that ScubaBoard members are the best when it comes to that. Please take a look at her story on our Blog and leave a comment or two. She is totally stoked about scuba diving and it is refreshing to read her postings. Online Scuba Blog: Scuba Gear & Dive Equipment Info

Thanks for reading this posting!!.

What's next? Following Rosie the Single Mom's heartwarming saga concerning her search for a really good babysitter?

I wonder if "Rosie" has any clue about the realities of what she's proposing to do. I mean, more power to her, but it ain't like there's a shortage of hard hat divers. I know fit 25-year-old men with plenty of commercial dive schooling who can't find work. Not to mention, commercial diving is a man's world and I don't mean any disrespect to Rosie when I say that. A woman, any woman, is going to find breaking into that particular field one tough row to hoe. Good luck to her.

I'm curious how she decided to become a commercial diver before even being certified for OW? Kind of like deciding to race NASCAR before getting your learners permit.
Damn it, now I'm gonna have to take a look at that blog

I'm back. That was certainly a silly story. All the best to her I suppose but I wonder if she really has thought of the realities of commercial diving and how it will affect her two small children (being a single parent). Hope the babysitter doesn't charge overtime and that she doesn't mind spending a LOT of time confined in chambers with sweaty, macho men. Fortunately she has plenty of human rights experience so she can file those sexual harrasment/discrimination lawsuits easier.

rosie_scubablog.thumbnail.jpg
We were looking for scuba related stories recently that hopefully would help explain why Scuba Diving can be a passion for many. I know that my story was similiar when I became a Scuba Diver and then onto Instructor, but we decided to add other people's interesting stories of how scuba diving has affected them.

Case in point, Rosie, who has a story that I think everyone should hear. She is a single Mom who is going to become a commercial diver, but she has to get certified first. She has just started the PADI Open Water Course and will go into commercial diving this year. Talk about ambition!! What a great story.:D

Rosie could use some encouragement and I know that ScubaBoard members are the best when it comes to that. Please take a look at her story on our Blog and leave a comment or two. She is totally stoked about scuba diving and it is refreshing to read her postings. Online Scuba Blog: Scuba Gear & Dive Equipment Info

Thanks for reading this posting!!.

Hey Rosie,

I worked as a commercial diver ( offshore oilfield & inland marine construction ) for 10 years & have written extensively on the subject on this board in the past. Do a search on mine & others postings regarding commercial diving, then p.m. me if you have any specific questions.

I'd be happy to fill you in.

Regards,
DSD

Hope the babysitter doesn't charge overtime and that she doesn't mind spending a LOT of time confined in chambers with sweaty, macho men. Fortunately she has plenty of human rights experience so she can file those sexual harrasment/discrimination lawsuits easier.

So... the first thing you think about is that a woman is naturally going to be offended by a macho work environment? Interesting... It may shock you DaleC, but many women are quite capable and comfortable working in male-dominated industries.

I am in agreement with your NASCAR comment, however :) But there are exceptions to every rule so good luck to this person!

I bet her baby wishes Mommy spent that much effort making sure he/she didn't grow up without a father. :depressed:

Sas, you take offense too easily. It comes off a little strident. That debate is over and most men just don't care as long as the job gets done. I'm not knocking anyone (woman or man) for wanting to pursue a goal but I don't believe in being PC and sugar coating reality either. Unless she is lucky enough to land that non saturation, 9-5, close to home commercial job she will have to face some uncomfortable facts.

a.) Her job will mean that she will spend most of her time away from her children. Is that a course a single parent (mother or father) should take?

b.) If her job entails satuation diving she could routinely spend long periods of time locked in a small cylinder with alpha type men either decompressing or being held at depth. If she works on a rig or remote location she may fair a little better as a few women may be on board. Only a fool would go into that situation without considering the personal ramifications of such a scenario.

It will be hard on her kids as they will have no possible access to her.
It will be hard on her as she will have no possible access to them.
It will be hard on any relationship she develops as few men will enjoy the fact that she is locked up with other men for long periods.
It will be hard on her as men will make advances. She will face teasing, taunting, suggestive comments etc... If she gives in she will be viewed as a sl t. If she breaks down they will run her off as weak. If she objects too strenuously she will be labeled a b tch. If she takes it upstairs she will be blackballed.

I didn't invent the system but I've lived in it in different capacities for most of my life. Can a woman do such a job, certainly. Women are good cops, firefighters etc... but if women in those jobs are honest they will also agree that it isn't so rosy all the time.

If you read her story on the blog you may/may not get the sense that she sounds a little naive about the dirtier side of the job. That's all I'm commenting on.

PS. Actually the first thing I thought was "Those poor kids. First no Dad, now no Mom". But that's probably because I have two small kids myself and have thought about the effect of long seperations on them.

Or may be I'm completely wrong,
it's been known to happen..
Dale.

maybe you could follow up with all the free classes and gear you provided, so we can see that your hearts in the right place, and your not just using this woman's situation to draw attention to your shop.

I find it odd that someone who is not certified has chose this career choice? Some people have small ear tubes, and can't dive because they can not clear. Most warm water divers I see that enter the cold low vis waters of CO simply freak out. They have no concept of cold water low vis diving, and they are certified. Many never dive in CO again because it's not something they find remotely enjoyable.

Ambition is great, but I think you need to try skiing before deciding to move to Vail and become an instructor. Likewise, I think it would be best if Rosie learns to dive before deciding to become a commercial diver.

Back
Top Bottom