Follow-up on Flooded Sunpak G-Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome. Other than the two week Passover vacation and not informing me my strobe was back-ordered without me asking, LP has always given me excellent service. It's nice to hear that they are apparently standing behind their product. I think talking to TOCAD first was a wise choice though. I doubt you would have gotten the same response from most retailers without the mfg. input.

Two months waiting and the Sunpak is dead after one dive. No idea why. Physically it's perfect. It worked fine when I came out of the water. There's no sign of flooding or other damage. The batteries are fully charged and the charge light comes on. When I was putting it away this morning, it just didn't work. The test light didn't flash, so I tried it with the camera. Nothing. I guess we'll find out how Helix compares to LP on customer service. At least I got some pretty good pictures out of it-see gallery.

This is not looking too good - I guess it's not just me and my bad luck. Mine went back to LP last week so I should be hearing something soon. Good Luck Larry.

Helix Camera & Video has a policy of no warranty through them after 10 days, except on specific name brand items that are specifically warranted through them, so I e-mailed Tocad America (tocadamerica@msn.com) and requested warranty information. Hopefully, I'll have a positive outcome.

Just as I was considering the G-Flash as an alternative to an Ikelite DS-50 setup (I admit it I'm cheap), I see there might be a fly in the ointment. Looks like I'll hold off a while to see how y'all fair. If things work out for y'all, then the G-Flash is back on my short list. Otherwise I’ll have to dig up another mayonnaise jar from out back to pay for the DS-50.

Larry C:
Two months waiting and the Sunpak is dead after one dive. No idea why. Physically it's perfect. It worked fine when I came out of the water. There's no sign of flooding or other damage. The batteries are fully charged and the charge light comes on. When I was putting it away this morning, it just didn't work. The test light didn't flash, so I tried it with the camera. Nothing. I guess we'll find out how Helix compares to LP on customer service. At least I got some pretty good pictures out of it-see gallery.

Clean the oxide build up on the battery contacts located on the battery door cover and the buttom springs. my MV and MS strobes does this some times. Use a mild scotch brite pad with alcohol.

Good Luck

Larry C:
Helix Camera & Video has a policy of no warranty through them after 10 days, except on specific name brand items that are specifically warranted through them, so I e-mailed Tocad America (tocadamerica@msn.com) and requested warranty information. Hopefully, I'll have a positive outcome.
They didn't answer my second email when I asked if there were plans to redesign the door hatch. Don't tell them that you know me :D.

RocketMan:
Just as I was considering the G-Flash as an alternative to an Ikelite DS-50 setup (I admit it I'm cheap), I see there might be a fly in the ointment. Looks like I'll hold off a while to see how y'all fair. If things work out for y'all, then the G-Flash is back on my short list. Otherwise I’ll have to dig up another mayonnaise jar from out back to pay for the DS-50.
My short list for a replacement is the ES-230 DS Auto. It is very similar to the Sunpak so I could use the same fiber optic cable. I would need to make a handle like Larry's but that's no problem. I can still use all the loc-line parts too. The specs are about the same on the strobe and it comes with a diffuser. The battery door is a round screw down type so less worry of a leak. I'm waiting for LP's decision on what they will do before I decide anything.

SeaYoda:
My short list for a replacement is the ES-230 DS Auto. It is very similar to the Sunpak so I could use the same fiber optic cable. I would need to make a handle like Larry's but that's no problem. I can still use all the loc-line parts too. The specs are about the same on the strobe and it comes with a diffuser. The battery door is a round screw down type so less worry of a leak. I'm waiting for LP's decision on what they will do before I decide anything.

:11: Mine leaked the very first dive. Adorama Camera has a 10 day return policy :( and gave me the phone number for Tocad America. I called them and after listening to a long menu and several minutes of pretty music, I got customer service and was given info on returning the unit which I did on 5/26. Am now waiting for a resolution.

I also think there is a problem with the battery compartment door design. :shakehead Unfortunately the battery compartment is not separated from the rest of the unit so if it leaks, the whole unit gets wet and after 30 years working in electronics engineering it has been my experience that salt water and electronics components generally do not mix.

This design is somewhat similar to my Mares dive computer, but on that the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the unit and has never given a minutes problem for me or for a bunch of friends who have them. Hope they send me a replacement unit with an improved battery door design. I would love to sing the praises of Sunpak's flash as it seems like a great unit . . . except for the leaking part.

Maybe if enough people write Tocad they will do something about it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom