Food Allergies in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diggie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello - does anyone with food allergies have any experience they could share with me for my first trip to Cozumel. Been quite awhile since I’ve been out of country and remember when younger traveling to Spain I struggled greatly with conveying to them my dairy allergy(not intolerance - I swell up and if bad enough I struggle to breathe). I could tell them no milk and there might not be milk, but would be cheese or cream or some other dairy. The issue was obviously in my ability in their language to convey my needs. I’ve gotten a lot better at judging food now to avoid things that appear dairy but unfortunately my Spanish has only gotten worse. Curious if others find Cozumel easier to communicate dietary issues in English for items like dairy or any tips. In worse case anything I order that looks like potentially has dairy I just don’t eat and I’m stuck paying for another dish. Thanks in advance.

Hello - does anyone with food allergies have any experience they could share with me for my first trip to Cozumel. Been quite awhile since I’ve been out of country and remember when younger traveling to Spain I struggled greatly with conveying to them my dairy allergy(not intolerance - I swell up and if bad enough I struggle to breathe). I could tell them no milk and there might not be milk, but would be cheese or cream or some other dairy. The issue was obviously in my ability in their language to convey my needs. I’ve gotten a lot better at judging food now to avoid things that appear dairy but unfortunately my Spanish has only gotten worse. Curious if others find Cozumel easier to communicate dietary issues in English for items like dairy or any tips. In worse case anything I order that looks like potentially has dairy I just don’t eat and I’m stuck paying for another dish. Thanks in advance.
Print out a translation of your needs before hand and use it to communicate your restrictions

My mother had very bad food allergies.

I would suggest getting an Airbnb with a kitchen, and when you go out to eat, go to one of the well respected and well liked family run operations, talk to them, tip generously, and establish a relationship with them. They will likely be happy to help you and appreciate your business. Heck, you may be able to communicate directly with the cook to assure there are no mistakes.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t trust any of the mainstream places.

Thank you both. We will be staying in a house down in costa del sol and will be eating breakfast and lunches there but was hoping to have a handful of days eating some local food.

What do you have issues with and maybe those that eat a wider variety of food can tell you certain things to avoid.... I can tell you about cheeseburgers, pizzas and chicken tacos jajajaajaj

Just got back from a week there and we dined out ever day. None of us had food allergies, so we didn’t test their allergen sensitivities. The only place that asked in advance to our ordering was Buccanos. I would bet that many of the finer dining establishments have encountered it with their guests in a regular basis and can attend with it. Regarding your Spanish skills, Apple has a great ap that I used often.

What do you have issues with and maybe those that eat a wider variety of food can tell you certain things to avoid.... I can tell you about cheeseburgers, pizzas and chicken tacos jajajaajaj
All dairy(milk, cheese, sour cream etc)

Just got back from a week there and we dined out ever day. None of us had food allergies, so we didn’t test their allergen sensitivities. The only place that asked in advance to our ordering was Buccanos. I would bet that many of the finer dining establishments have encountered it with their guests in a regular basis and can attend with it. Regarding your Spanish skills, Apple has a great ap that I used often.
Thanks. Was thinking an app would be helpful. My luck it would translate “no dairy” into “hottest peppers you got”

All dairy(milk, cheese, sour cream etc)

Don't count on showing someone "no dairy products" or sin lacteos - I'd bet over 50% of the time you'll still get that cheeseburger you order.

A lot of sauces are made with cream, cheese is everywhere

There's a growing number of health food/vegetarian/vegan places in CZM. In general, they are very good at accommodating dietary issues and accepting orders in English.

Nutty Treesome, La Cozumelena, La Cuisine, Cozumel Coffee Roasting Co, Miss Delietes, and Sereno all have vegan/lacto-substitue choices.

If you eat meat, skip the cheese, and self-cater a little, then it should be pretty easy to avoid dairy in CZM.

No alimentos con productos lácteos, por favor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom