Fool's April MegaDive, April 1st-3rd 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

picnic tables provide great insulation! :wink:

I actually have brought a tent a few times, and will this time. :)
Yeah, he uses his tent as a pillow!

I'll be bringing the Megadive banner and family. Since I don't get to stay very long am not sure whatelse I will bring.

A quick question about the cost...

Do we pay for the diving and camping separately per person, per day?

For example, if I got there on Friday afternoon, camped for 2 nights, and did diving on saturday and sunday, then I would pay for 2 nights of camping (@$20.40 each night) + 2 days of diving (@$30.00), minus a 10% discount?

In equation form, that would be...
40.80+60.00-10%=$90.72

The reason for the question is cause on their website under the camping rates, it says "Scuba diving available for an additional fee."

Also, for people that have camped there before, how far is the parking lot from the campsite? I have a truck-bed tent and want to use that, but not be too far from all the fun.

A quick question about the cost...

Do we pay for the diving and camping separately per person, per day?

For example, if I got there on Friday afternoon, camped for 2 nights, and did diving on saturday and sunday, then I would pay for 2 nights of camping (@$20.40 each night) + 2 days of diving (@$30.00), minus a 10% discount?

In equation form, that would be...
40.80+60.00-10%=$90.72

The reason for the question is cause on their website under the camping rates, it says "Scuba diving available for an additional fee."

Also, for people that have camped there before, how far is the parking lot from the campsite? I have a truck-bed tent and want to use that, but not be too far from all the fun.

Yes, there is a seperate cost for camping and diving, minus the 10% discount.
As far as I can see, your math is correct. There isn't an additional cost after that. Just make sure you bring your C card to sign in. You can download the form to fill out ahead of time off their website.
We usually pay and get our dive band for the next day. That way if we decide to do a sunrise dive in the morning, we can as the office doesn't open til later.

The parking is right there at the camp sites. The area is long and slender, making it easy to load and unload. (or camp in your truck :))
If you have any other questions , just ask and we're glad you're joining us.

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew while space is still available!

Last edited:
Ok, here is the rundown for anyone who missed it.

Fool's April Megadive 2011 - Fri., Apr. 1 - Sun., Apr. 3rd.
Come 1 day or the whole weekend.​

All are welcome. This event is open to all dive levels, newbie OW, all the way to full cave certification. If you don't have a buddy, don't worry, there are a bunch of us and there's always someone ready for a dive! Diving is set at your own pace, when and where you want in between eating and sleeping. The only dive that is a scheduled dive will be the galaxy dive around dusk on Sat. evening. As it is a family event, there are plenty of non divers and kids too.

Ginnie Springs has a full service dive shop and a pretty nice little store. They also rent canoes, kayaks and tubes for use on the river. Check out their website below for further info, park maps and directions.
Florida Staycation vacation place for scuba diving & Florida ecotourism
Or give them a call at Ginnie Springs Outdoors 1-386-454-7188

When you get to Ginnie Springs, you'll need to check in the Main Office, tell them you are with ScubaBoard as we are to get a 10% discount. If you check in on Friday and won't be diving until Sat., go ahead and pay for your diving then and get your wrist bands. It can get really busy on Sat. and you don't want to waste your time waiting in line again. Don't for get your c cards and the diving form can be downloaded ahead time from there website to save time checking in.
We have the Turkey Roost area reserved. Most of us will be tent camping. Some though do stay in town at the motel, but you'll miss a lot of the fun... There isn't electricity where we're camping, but the are several taps with running water and grills. There is electricity at the pavilion and the bathrooms w/showers are a short walk away. Don't forget to bring chairs for around the fire and bug spray is the bugs like you. No need to make reservations, but sign up on this thread and let us know how many are attending and what you'll be bringing to pitch in.

Friday- All meals will be on your own. Some will go out to dinner; some will cook at the campsite. It's up to you.
Campfire - a little smores, a little music, a little singing, a little drinking(BYOB) or not, keeping it mild in anticipation of the big day of diving on Sat.
Saturday-
Brekky - MegaOmlettes, group buffet style. Not to be missed...
Lunch- On your own.
Dinner - Group buffet style somewhere around 5:00. Bring something to share.. Read the latest post on whos attending and what their bringing to see what is still needed. Then copy the list, add you name/names and what your bringing.
Galaxy Dive - Around dusk. Not to be missed...
Campfire -a lot of music, a lot of singing, a lot of drinking(BYOB) or not. Just lots of fun! Not to be missed...
Sunday
Brekky-
MegaOmlettes group style.

Sadly, I have realized that I will not be making it to this MegaDive...I just remembered that I'm going to see my wife in Dublin, Ireland from the 2nd through the 14th while she is on spring break during her study abroad.

I hope ya'll have a blast! I'll be missing it!

Sadly, I have realized that I will not be making it to this MegaDive...I just remembered that I'm going to see my wife in Dublin, Ireland from the 2nd through the 14th while she is on spring break during her study abroad.

I hope ya'll have a blast! I'll be missing it!

We're sad your not making it, but I'm sure your wife will be happy. And a trip to Ireland isn't bad either. :D
There's always the fall megadive. See ya there! :)

I just put my c card in my wallet...just so I wouldnt forget it like I did last time...if i hadn't of had my medic first aid card and my temp from waaaaaay back in the day...So let this be a lesson to you; Don't be that diver...don't be so excited and in such a hurry that you almost forget what makes the whole weekend worth doing. I also aired out soem of the camping and dive gear today, checking things, checking maintenance logs and the like...everything looks good!

You betcha!!! I don't leave home...without either one now...lol

Megadivers Attending and Food List
To add your name... Hit quote on the latest food list, then once your in reply mode, delete the quote part off the front and end of the message. Then you can type your info in and repost.(leave these directions in your post for the next person)

Cardzard and Roxanne - Chicken drums and wings, A cooler full of water, diet and non-diet sodas, and juices for the kids for the group dinner. Then for breakfast, 18ct eggs, precooked bacon, sausage and ham, and some assorted veggies for the omelets. Glow sticks for Galaxy Dive.
joystershell & MegaMikey - For breakfast; (2) dozen Mega-Muffins, (2) half gallons of Orange Juice and (2) dozen eggs.
scubaman05 and Denise - Propane tank, burner, cooking pot and cole slaw.
Tao of the Dive and family (3) - 18 or two dozen eggs, OJ, milk, chicken fingers for grill, trash bags, cheese, bacon/sausage for omelets, homemade Brunswick stew made from Tao’s pulled pork for sat night with, deserts for Saturday night, and two bags of self-starting charcoal briquettes.
Heath and Jim Sapp - Eggs, cheese, wraps and dessert for dinner.
UCF Diver + 1 -Eggs (how many do you guys usually go through?)
Deep Sea Wolf And Family ? -
BigDaddy and Big Mama - paper plates & plastic utensils. I will also be bringing a propane stove that the masses will be welcome to use. If I'm in one of my (rare) good moods, I might even make a big pot of chili or something on Friday night.
Scuba_Jenny and Hermit Crab - Paper plates, plastic eating utensils, paper towels, S'mores stuff. Rum tote. Will bring more, but haven't decided what yet....
Scubafool and family, +1 and maybe 2 more- Firewood, but more will be needed; 2 dozen eggs; shredded cheese + other breakfast fixings, turkey fryer for breakfast omelet cooking, tiki torches and fuel, toys for tots, deviled eggs for community dinner, and some hollow logs with animal skins on one end
Jeano Beano - Chips , dips , bratwurst (not brats) , Salsa , Hot dog and Brat Buns , potato salad. (baked beans if anyone wants some)..Oh , mustards too.
Brewone0to & Shelly - potato salad, cole slaw, eggs, hot dogs & various assorted condiments.
MontanaFL & Scorpio2012 + Kenny - Firewood (will try to bring more than last year), tortilla's for breakfast, eggs, chocolate martini's, forks, chicken breast's, other stuff we find as were shopping.
UseMyLungs (Gabe+Rebecca) - Is there a store nearby?, can we go and get stuff based on whats needed? Someone who has gone to the event before, from past experience is this a good idea?
rparham1 and brendap - 18-24 ct. Hamburgers and buns.
JahJahwarrior + 1 - Omelet fixings: Eggs & Chopped Veggies, Protein for the grill, and Freshly baked cookies for dessert.

For those who always ask what to bring. Here are some ideas...
Meat items for the grill and buns
Eggs (We never seem to have enough.)
Items for the omelets (additional meats, peppers, mushrooms, onions, salsa etc.)
Charcoal (self-starting)
Condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, BBQ sauce)
Sturdy paper plates (no Styrofoam please) (SJ)
Plastic "silver"ware (we never seem to have enough of these either, especially forks)(SJ)
Paper towels(SJ)
Side dishes (potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, chips and dips/salsa, fruit salad, etc.)
Deserts (Oh please don't forget the deserts!)
Tiki torches and fuel (for around the fire)
Fire Wood (for the camp fire)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom