for all the cold water drysuit divers out there!! how much weight do u carry??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16lbs in compressed 3mm drysuit with HP100 in a singles configuration using a back inflate BC and Zero in double HP100's in my DSS rig with the same drysuit

All of the following w/AL backplate (2lb).
Drysuit is a Pinnacle, undergarments are either Army issued Polypro and a polartec fleece jacket or DUI Thinsulate 400, Chuck Taylors for boots :D

Singles HP100 (Faber): 4lbs with the polartec/polypro and 6lbs with the Thinsulate 400.
AL80: 14-16lbs
Double HP100 (Faber): None
Double LP85 (Faber): 2lb tailweight

Diving concepts shell suit with Whites MK2 long johns. Steel 119 single tank, 6 lb steel backplate, 6 lb STA Insert, 2x2 lb ankle weights, 4 lb on the belt (so 14 lb plus the backplate).

just curious on how much weight u guys carry (weight belt, integrated, ballast weights) all together
i am pushing 35 lbs of weight with bare super hi loft underwear and my drysuit

FWIW: I use 34lbs total with my thickest underwear and a single AL80/AL BP, I weigh 220lbs, Size XL and am not lean. If I drop to 32lbs, I am cooler but still comfy. At 30lbs I get squeezed and struggle at the safety stop.

Santi eSpace drysuit with Weezle Extreme undergarment ... with my singles rig and a HP119 cylinder I wear about 31 lbs (11 lb backplate plus 20 lb weightbelt) ... with my sidemount rig and two HP100 cylinders I wear 18 lbs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your post suggested a possible concern that you are requring more weight than you should, or than others use. As most of the responses indicate, 35 lbs may not unrealistic, depending on the rig.

Early in my drysuit diving, with a DCI trilam suit, and a Thinsulate undergarment worn over some Patagonia mid-weight underwear, with a Zeagle Ranger and a single AL80, I was using 34 lbs in fresh water - never took that rig into salt water which would have necessitated even more.

To reduce the 'added' weight, I moved to a SS backplate, to steel tanks, to doubles, to Jetfins (from Mares Quattros), strated carrying a can light, etc. The total weight doesn't really change, but the distribution does. Now, with that rig:

With double AL80s and a steel BP, I use 14 lbs in fresh water.
With double HP100s and a steel BP, I use 8 lbs in fresh water.

With double HP130s and a steel BP, and an AL80 and an AL40, and a can light, and a reel, I do not add weight in fresh water. But, I sure feel like I am carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, at least while I am on land. :)

28-32 depending upon the underwear.

Your tank, undergarment loft, etc., will have a significant impact on your lead.

Right now I can get int the water, dump all the air from my wing, open my drysiut valve and roll on my side to squeeze all the air out, and just barely float at the surface. With one sharp exhalation I begin to sink. At about 3-5 ft I begin to breathe again and by that time suit compression had made me negative so I don't rise to the surface on a lungful of air.

I find it very interesting, how many people are in the 30 lb range here. When I took Fundies, my instructor was talking about how many people dive overweighted, and he said, "I've seen women your size wearing TWENTY-EIGHT pounds of lead!" He appeared to think that was excessive, but it looks as though weights in the high 20's or low 30's are not uncommon in cold water.

I'm 200lbs, at 5'10".

I've been test diving my DUI CF200, and in fresh water, no undergarment, I get some squeeze with 16 lbs.

With undergarment (high loft) I was wearing 32 lbs in fresh water, and I was crazy cold (water temp was 1C). I'll add an extra 2-4 lbs next time, and get some more air in the suit.

This was with AL80, Zeagle Brigade (Ranger with a smaller Bladder), and other neutral gear.

OK Albertan, here's another Albertan ( Calgary ) I weigh 155 lbs, 5'7. Bare Nex Gen drysuit, high loft underwear, I'm very comfy ( warm also ) with these numbers, I've tried lower amounts of weight and I can't even get down. West Coast, I've had to hang on to kelp during my safety stops, mind you that was during OW training when I was still figuring out what I needed. As my experience increases, I'm still always hoping I can drop some more weight, but it's getting very close now.

Weights are as follows:

Fresh ( and cold ) water with an AL 80, 32 lbs . I just found out I could drop 2 lbs last weekend, ie was at 34 for 2+ years
Fresh water with steel 100's, 26 lbs, ie lose 6 lbs as AL 80's are +4 lbs buoyant and steel 100's are -2

Salt water with AL 80, 38 lbs, add 6 lbs for the salt water
Salt water with steel 100's, 32 lbs

Just thought I should add Ranger LTD BCD, I'm guessing, but it's prob 4-5 lbs buoyant

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom