For Divers which is better Utila? or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Me and my boyfriend are planning on doing a MSDT internship for 3 months next Jan2010 and I keep debating between the two islands, I know cost of living is pretty cheap in Utila I don't know about Roatan. I wanna know which has the better diving, since were going down for quite a while, I definately need eventful, we cavern dive and reef dive and wall dive, I like lots of colorful fish and wanna wish with dolphins?

Hi there,

Main differences are cost and size. Utila is very small and you can get anywhere in a matter of minutes where Roatan is 25 miles long and has one 2 lae road from end to end usually very busy. I live on Utila and travel to Roatan and you will find cost differences of roughly 33% to 50% more.

I own apartments on Utila that are used mostly for longtermers doing longer courses and then general feedback is very positive to Utila versus Roatan.

Hopes this helps

Since you are doing it for long term, spend a little time in both.

You can get a room for as little as $3.00 a night here on Roatan. And you can eat for as little as 12 lempiras a meal.

Rent can run from $200 a month on up.

If you choose to do your MSDT in West-End, you don't need transportation as you can walk everywhere. You'll hardly ever go on that "busy" 2 lane road. It's going to be the same if you do it in West-Bay.

Utila is lots of fun and so is Roatan. Both have much to offer and deserve a visit. That way, you get to decide.

Yes checking out both is the way to decide. Getting between the two on Verns boat is $50 and a great sail where you are likely to see your Dolphins!

Fly in to Roatan's International airport, after a few days there go over to Utila fo a few days, and decide for yourself, as someone coming for a long while, booking in advance isn't going to be required as your flexible.

HTH

Will

So Utila is cheaper for stay and food then? Is there any good night enertainment or shows? Is the power reliable? I', looking at renting an aparment or bungalow with hot water and laundry and a queen or king bed do you know of any places. I'm been going crazy tryin to figure out which Island to pick lol I was worried with Utila being so small we don't wanna go crazy in such a small places. How long is it from one island to the other in travell?

Last edited:
Hi there,

Main differences are cost and size. Utila is very small and you can get anywhere in a matter of minutes where Roatan is 25 miles long and has one 2 lae road from end to end usually very busy. I live on Utila and travel to Roatan and you will find cost differences of roughly 33% to 50% more.

I own apartments on Utila that are used mostly for longtermers doing longer courses and then general feedback is very positive to Utila versus Roatan.

Hopes this helps
So Utila is cheaper for stay and food then? Is there any good night enertainment or shows? Is the power reliable? I', looking at renting an aparment or bungalow with hot water and laundry and a queen or king bed do you know of any places. I'm been going crazy tryin to figure out which Island to pick lol I was worried with Utila being so small we don't wanna go crazy in such a small places. How long is it from one island to the other in travell?

Yup Utilia is cheaper & really peaceful & feels safer, just rent a place with a kitchen & eat at home to save more $$. A few fun bars on the water & plenty of community to keep you busy. Utila Dive Centeris good for fun community & loaded with rec/tech/pro cert classes!! Just contact them and ask for the course director Andy. You can also do a user name search here on SB for "Utilia Dive Center" - it's a direct link to Andy. I really enjoyed diving with them ;-)!! I'm guessing he will respond to your thread very shortly.

Utilia also has some beautiful places to hike, bike or jog - you can buy a bike for cheap. There is also a gym. It is a smallish strip of tourist stuff (maybe 2miles?, 3 fun bars, lots of house parties, a few beaches. The main focus is diving. But if you can easily do a 1/2 day hike on the island. I've heard you can make it all the way around the island in 1 day (that would be a great adventure!!). Unless you're looking for nature, you can probably walk to everything you need within 30 min or less. If you get a place near your dive shop you may be able to get to everything you need by walking in 5-10 minutes. Plenty of internet places, a few cash machines a nice full grocery store with lots of western stuff and lots of little shops.

Lots of people are doing exactly what you two want to do - so plenty of long term residents hanging around. In general it's young & chill - IMO not too small. Nice diving on the North side. I spent a month on Utilia and only a few days on Roatan but I liked the backpacker chill vibe on Utilia & roatan, even the west end, felt more upscale and was deffinatly more expensive. I think it took 2-3 hours to take verns boat to roatan just email him vfine@hotmail.com.

Personally I liked Utilia better - the locals are more integrated into the local economy - everyone is happier and the poverty isn't such a problem and plenty of divers getting certs who stay around longer. Lots of open space to explore and a small community feel. Very mellow, but not tiny.

IMO -- Rubi Inn is the nicest budget place to camp out and look for a rental about $18 per night: rubisinn@yahoo.com. With warm water, private refrig, kitchen access, very clean, friendly and centralized ocean front property. I would not rent an apartment without seeing it. Just put the word out on the street and in the dive shops that you need a place. Find your dive shop, find out the local price for a rental, and then look around for nearby apartment/bungalow (something very close walking distance). Chances are you'll have a nicely furnished place within a week, maybe even within a few days. In the month I was there, water and power were never a major issue, every once in a while a minor flicker.

Like others said I think it best to just go, spend a few days in Roatan (I liked diving with the small shop reef gliders) - but don't get stuck on Roatan. Head to Utilia, and check out the vibe. It's pretty easy to organize things once you are there. Cash speaks so paying students are welcome :wink:.

Some of the Utilia dive shops have already answered this thread so since they live there year round they will have more info than I do :D.

Good luck & have fun! Make sure to see a whale shark - they are awesome!!! Oh yeah I got to swim with dolphin 2X in 1 month ;-)!

Last edited:
I've lived in both places. I think Utila is slighly cheaper for both rooms and food. I would definately wait and see an apartment before deciding. You mentioned shows? There is a tiny movie theater on Utila. Some of your comments make me wonder what you are expecting however. Utila is very tiny and not for everyone. When I was there for 4 months, I may have been the oldest person on the island at age 61 but I loved being with all the young folks. I had a blast. Remember this is almost a diving only location. The stores are tiny and selection of food and goods is limited. Night life is abundant and fun.

Roatan is much larger and has more to do but is still very limited. You are not headed to Cancun or Cayman. Both Roatan and Utila are much less developed and less sophisticated. The diving is mostly wall or heavy structure diving. It is great on both Islands.

I just returned yesterday from Roatan and loved the diving on the South East Side. However, if I were going for an MSDT or any other training, I'd choose Utila. There are more choices for training. Almost all the dive operations specialize in training while most on Roatan, specialize in fun divers. Don't get me wrong, both islands have good training and fun diving. Both have competive rates.

You may see dolphins in Utila but only Anthony's on Roatan actually offers the opportunity to dive with them. I don't know of any cave diving on either but both offer wrecks diving. You said something about eventful and I'm not sure what you mean. Neither island has challenging diving. There almost no current at any time. Both have lots of colorful fish. You have a much better chance of spotting a whale shark on Utila.

I doubt you'll find an apartment with a washer or dryer in either location but you can get it done for you very cheaply on Utila and probably Roatan. I rented a two bedroom apartment without air conditioning on Utila for $400 a month that I shared with another person making it pretty cheap.

There are virtually no cars on Utila and you don't need one. Walking gets you everywhere you want to go. The same is not true on Roatan. If you want to get around, you need transportation or some sort. West End on Roatan is the only cheap place.

Back
Top Bottom