For the most awesome dive experience you'll ever have!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max as hard as it may be to understand regulations...fact is follow them and without the personal attachment to all organisms on the planet...experience life and although you may not understand there are others that share this world, try to focus more on your footprint than justifying it by "I'm telling on you" to not seeing what you and your bote does. As a true Oceanic Explorer...A part of Hardcor we wish you the best in your future misunderstandings. We'll give you time to figure it out.
After checking the translation I figured out what you are trying to say. Yes, a boat (not bote) leaves a carbon footprint, as does the car you use to get to a shore site. The V-Tec outboards on my boat produce lower emissions than the typical diesel powered boat, which is why I chose them. I did not get any lobster. I don't take anything but less than quality images. I also don't eat seafood period, whether from diving or store bought. I don't care if others do, as long as they do so legally.

Actually all 'we' wish here, is for you people to stay 'there' and stop moving 'here', but you won't stop doing it. :rofl3:

" you people " yeah, that's us you people. My post were here long before you came along. So I was " here " before you.:confused4: and you need to go there.

Bill
dead dog :banghead:

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

Hey, everyone remember that hundred year-or-so period where people could take abalone south of San Francisco Bay? Or remember that people used to be able to find intertidal abalone in southern California? And then abused the crap out of that? People are really, really bad at collectively self-regulating.

Then stay out of the water. :bonk:

Last edited:
Then stay out of the water. :bonk:

Well, that's the point, isn't it? You set a reasoned and reasonable standard of behavior, codify it in law, and then punish people who don't observe that standard of behavior, specifically by keeping them from hunting- you see a lot of lifetime fishing bans on people who poach abalone for commercial resale. There are a lot of CDFW regs I don't agree with (and a lot of hunting regulations set by the legislature, which CDFW has to enforce, that I really don't agree with) but seasons, and size limits, and no take areas are not included on that list.

A real problem is that wanton disregard of lobstering regs invites further regulation. Burdensome regulation. It's entirely conceivable that, if the current regs are widely ignored or difficult to enforce [e.g., why you can't possess tailed lobster prior to "immediate consumption" anymore], you could end up with a recreational lobster season that has a season limit, and requires that you tag your catch just like abalone. And there aren't many people who would want that (and certainly not me).

Hey, everyone remember that hundred year-or-so period where people could take abalone south of San Francisco Bay? Or remember that people used to be able to find intertidal abalone in southern California? And then abused the crap out of that? People are really, really bad at collectively self-regulating.

Yes, I do remember it. I took abalone legally within the intertidal for a number of years. Not many... just enough for the occasional dinners.

However, the disappearance of the abs in southern California was not simply a matter of over harvesting them (although that certainly was one cause). During the 1982-84 El Nino withering foot syndrome hit the abalone population and really decimated it. We have recently been seeing recovery over the past 15 years, but unfortunately the surge from Hurricane Marie here on the southern leeward coast of Catalina moved large rocks and buried a good number of the abalone we were seeing. Many of them are probably not getting any food due to this, so add another localized natural disaster to the mix.

It was the population that killed every thing along the cost, not divers. I came out here to California back in 1959 and there were only a small group of divers here at that time. So don't go blaming them. There were kelp beds all along the cost of Orange County, you could free dive for abs, fish, lobsters, didn't even need a lung.
Again it was pollution from the population that killed off the life along the coast, NOT divers. Wake up Big Red !

Last edited:
It was the population that killed every thing along the cost, not divers. I came out here to California back in 1959 and there were only a small group of divers here at that time. So don't go blaming them. There were kelp beds all along the cost of Orange County, you could free dive for abs, fish, lobsters, didn't even need a lung.
Again it was pollution from the population that killed off the life along the coast, NOT divers. Wake up Big Red !
You mean things like this: Superfund Site Overview Palos Verdes Shelf, Pacific Southwest, US EPA

In retrospect, incredibly stupid with long term consequences, but at the time probably generally perceived as acceptable. Kind of like some of the arguments in this thread

It's a complex problem, and the collapse of any fishery is probably a combination of many factors, not just one or two, whether divers, commercial overfishing, pollution, natural causes, disease, environmental changes, and likely things we haven't identified yet. I'd rather dive knowing with relative certainty I'm not contributing to the problem. Back to the original topic, lobster is tasty, but I don't see the point of having 50 or more in my freezer and would rather get a few spread out during the season and enjoy them all that much more

The sea life isn't killed off, it was weakened and is now trying to be managed, hence the bag limits to manage the population. When you have d'bags who think the management is written for everyone else but themselves you have further withering of the population, further reduction of bag limits, further d'bags continuing to think the tighter limits don't apply to them, and a perpetuating reduction of the population and bag limits to zero and a total ban.

After checking the translation I figured out what you are trying to say. Yes, a boat (not bote) leaves a carbon footprint, as does the car you use to get to a shore site. The V-Tec outboards on my boat produce lower emissions than the typical diesel powered boat, which is why I chose them. I did not get any lobster. I don't take anything but less than quality images. I also don't eat seafood period, whether from diving or store bought. I don't care if others do, as long as they do so legally.

Max for your info, I don't use a car to get to shore dives, I haven't purchased gasoline in over 10 yrs. The term Boat I apply to up front honorable captains, operators, owners. You lost all credibility from my perspective over what you do here on a regular basis, acting like a 3rd grader, "I'm telling the teacher!!" as if you seem to be much, much better than anyone, you are a BOTE rider. You might not eat what you kill in the ocean, or on land, that's your choice, but remember at the cost of getting your images, you kill marine life. Now and please keep your answer to yourself, are they (your images and your ego) really worth the lives of the animals that die because of your boting practices? Why are they less important than any others that live in sea, the ones you showcase as in the accidental killing of a black sea bass taken by a diver who speared it and didn't know what he killed. I remember you smeared his picture as if he was a villain, then your followers, all 3 of them, did the "gang up" on him and watched the court case unfold, you and the small crowd you draw here were dissatisfied that the young man didn't get jail time. You thought his misdemeanor fine wasn't enough. I think it's hilarious you don't take into account the massive micro marine animals that die from your visits, nor the value them of having a natural life.

My 1 lobster that I captured far out at an undisclosed island, I didn't want to suffer longer than he had to, less than 10 minutes after his arrest, he was microwaved and he became part of 4 humans.

Please do not try and explain yourself, but when you find yourself in a hole like your in, quit digging!!

I didn't realize Jim's boat, Divercity was solar powered and anchor-free. How did you manage to shore dive Laguna Beach, Malaga Cove and Malibu without burning gas? How do I kill more animals for my photos than anyone diving far out at an undisclosed island? Also, how does one "accidentally" spear a giant sea bass?
I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who hunts for their own food. I do have a problem with those who do so illegally and those who want to minimize their crimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom