For those going to SABA-this is where you'll land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
That's one runway you definitely wouldn't want to overshoot. Must be kind of weird to be landing on one end and being able to see the water just off the other end.

Beautiful island though.

OK, you call that a landing strip???? LOL....Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Someone told me the take-offs are bizarre. They told of dropping about 30 feet after the end of the runway before they flew away.

I'm going to be there in July. I'll let you know how it goes-assuming I make it!!!

Originally posted by Scubalnks
Wow that is a really beautifull shot of the island. Wish I was there now. :)

Have you been there before? If so, what's that airport like????

I did my OW and AOW (first dives ever) at Saba, and it remains my most memorable dive experience to date. The most breathtaking assortment of big fish (does anyone remember Buddha the Barracuda?), best visibility, incredible night dives...I've dived Bonaire, Cozumel and Grand Cayman since and nothing equaled Saba.

Saba does hold the dubious distinction of "shortest runway in the Caribbean"... usually when you land the plane turns right at the end of the runway, and if you're on the starboard side you have a beautiful view of the wingtip projecting out over the 100-foot cliff a few feet from the landing gear :eek:

Taking off is indeed a daredevil maneuver, but WinAir hardly ever crashes...if you're planning on a trip to Saba do pack light, or they'll put your gear on the next flight.

There is not a lot to do on the island, except climb the 1000 steps to the top of the mountain. I dove with SeaSaba (www.seasaba.com) and would enthusiastically recommend them.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
But no... it is real... and yes... WOW!

Jack, you are planning on taking me with you... right????

Sure, right after our dive in your neck of the woods!! We can leave from there....

Saba is what I think of as heaven on earth. But I don't want y'all thinking that you should invade because I'd kinda like it to stay the way it is, with only minimal changes. If you enjoy peace and quiet (with crowing roosters and braying donkeys) for the time you're above water, Saba is it. On one day's walk we could see Monteserrat off in the distance, along with a blood-red sunrise that was so incredible (and yes, I have a picture of it!)

We dove there last year and are going back this year to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary (really nice when you dive bud is also your best bud and spouse!). The diving is divine, the people warm and friendly, some decent food at various locales (and locals' houses!!!) and the island is wonderful to just relax and remember what life is about -- good friends, good times, and great diving!

You can also opt to take the ferry over -- but that airport runway also gives you an idea of what the road is like on Saba. All man-made, after an engineering firm told the islanders that a road couldn't be built. Well, there is a road, built by hand. Incredible sight (and ride).

We dove with Saba Divers, and will return to their wonderful service later this year. We'll be "on island" for 10 days and I'm ready!

So, I think you can tell, Saba doesn't really suck ...

Margaret

Back
Top Bottom