For those that have a 19cf, how do you travel with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm tempted to use their 40 just for the experience of it though.

Hi Fastmarc,

Congrats on getting a Solo cert. It is well worth it my opinion.

I used a 40cf for my Tech 40 cert. In the water you won't notice a difference. Their buoyancy characteristics are very similar, both full and empty. We are talking about a few pounds difference (u/w) between a 13cf and a 40cf.

Good Luck!
m

In the near future I will be traveling with my 19cf for the 1st time. My plan is to carry on-board in a Akona Globetrotter all of my gear except cutting instruments, save the dive kit and the 19cf. However a post from another poster (actually 2) revealed that they carry on their 19cf, but not what else or what they do with their other gear.
This has me wondering, is my plan the best?

Interested to hear your input.
I didn't respond to your earlier question, sorry.

What I carry on depends on how I distribute the "stuff" between checked and the two carry-on bags. My AL19 (with valve) and regulator is a little over 13 lbs, so it is a significant chunk of the checked luggage allowance. So, I try to pack my camera and flash(s) in my backpack and the pony and regs in a carry-on suitcase

I’m only starting to delve into the pony bottle world, and have a few questions for you all:
- How hard is it to take off the valve and screw on? I’m assuming it’s well beyond hand tightened; do you generally use a hand wrench?
- if you ship it via UPS or FedEx to/from your destination, do they also require the valve removed?
- why the worry about the destination shops filling them, etc. It sounds from these threads like diveops aren’t psyched about them, but I haven’t heard much as to their apparent reasonings behind it?

I’m only starting to delve into the pony bottle world, and have a few questions for you all:
- How hard is it to take off the valve and screw on? I’m assuming it’s well beyond hand tightened; do you generally use a hand wrench?
- if you ship it via UPS or FedEx to/from your destination, do they also require the valve removed?
- why the worry about the destination shops filling them, etc. It sounds from these threads like diveops aren’t psyched about them, but I haven’t heard much as to their apparent reasonings behind it?
It can vary from simple to very difficult without tools. If your cylinder and valve are clean and have been opened and closed by hand recently then reversing the process is easy.

If the tank is old and crusty you will likely need a big crescent wrench and rubber mallet.

Be very sure the tank is empty and the valve is fully open!

I typically put the pony cylinder on it's side maybe on a rubber yoga mat or towel. Snug up the wrench, hold cylinder as best you can and hit the end of the wrench lever arm with the mallet. Repeat as necessary.

So you're the one that rounds the flats and dings and damages all those beautiful brass valves unnecessarily

You got to take it off before packing. And done right, should only be hand tight.

According to Alec according to Catalina .... Hand tighten (6:10 in on the video)

My opinion:
Hand tightened. No wrench required. Taking them off should not require a wrench. Putting one on definitely doesn't. Note that there are torque specs for the valves from the cylinder mfg for obsessive persnickety folk, but ... If you hand tighten the valve (firmly) on a new o-ring (no slimy lube on it) on a clean gland, there is no way you are going to turn it (loosen) once you have a hundred or two PSI in it. (you can't unscrew your reg from the valve either, until you depressurize it).

I only use convertible pro-valves (DIN on the pony in any case) so I carry one of these, just in case Jo-jo, the dive op tank filler and master of the Crescent wrench and cheater pipe decides to re-torque the frack out of my pony valve:

DIN Valve Removal Tool Travel Version

Only limited experience in carrying a pony on the road - no question whatsoever from the tank shack but I lost a half-day's dives with it as they didn't open until after we were on board and in the channel outbound... It was ready at lunch on first day. Thus, I decided on carrying a short 2' whip I made up. I figure if I can heist a few full bottles of air off the tank shack rack first thing and put those bottles back out for refill, I should have a workable bottle ... The DM on the boat kinda gave me a side look and said "You don't need that - your air use is good." I told him it was part of my solo equipment and I needed to practice with it. He shrugged and never mentioned it again.

Standard pony for NDL rec divigating: 17 cu ft 3,000# bottle - fits my baggage more perfecter than a 19. I run a strip of blue painter's masking tape across the top of the neck for transit to keep out crud and critters.

1685975950347.png

I have H2Odyssey RG2V's on both my 19cf ponys. I have both yoke and shop fill adapters so I can go either way at my destination. Amazon has the RG2V on sale now for $65. It's both the valve and 1st stage in a tiny package. Great for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom