Force Fin Designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our Fahter Gordon B. Evans was a Artist, Funny both Sisters and I are also Artist. Here I captured Gordon in his Hermosa Beach, California Studio. This image was taken with my 4x5 view camera, while attending Brooks Institute of Photography,1972. So I asked my Dad to engrave the Patent Pending and size on the backside of each Force Fin master. Talk about a touchy job..here he goes at it in front of our 28 Anacapa Street work shop. The final job....

Attachments

• img113-fw.jpg
    img113-fw.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 73
  • forcefin-213-fw.jpg
    forcefin-213-fw.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 65
  • a-50.jpg-clean-fw.jpg
    a-50.jpg-clean-fw.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 74
Talk about a steady hand... my Dad also did the Patent drawings, since the ones done by my Patent Lawyer draftman were sub standard...the reason being their is not a straight line on a Force Fin. Those beautiful curves could only be done by a True Artist Gordon B. Evans who attented the.Chouinard Art Institute, Los Angeles, J. Farnsworth School of Art, Massachusettst, New York Art Students Lague and Academie de La Grande Chaumiere, Paris, France. So when you put the pen down on special Patent paper you can not lift up the pen till done, or it will leave a start and stop mark..which was not accepted. So here are some drawing made before hand..more coming will have to reduce size for SB...

Attachments

• resized-forcefin.jpg
    resized-forcefin.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 70
  • scans009.jpg
    scans009.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 61
  • scans010.jpg
    scans010.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 68
I have all my Patent files here in my office. Cost was a little over 1/2 Million dollars. That does not cover the cost of making a fin fleet of Force Fins or marketing cost.....and will scan how the Orginial Force Fin Patent looked when done..Patents I filed over the years amounted to protection from those who used my " Split Fin " concept. Will cover that issue down the road. Till then to much positive going on the jump into the SWAMP. Laddie Handlemen home and Patents and Trade marks.. More of Dads Force Fin Patent drawings..

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 57
  • scans013-fw.jpg
    scans013-fw.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 71
  • scans014-fw.jpg
    scans014-fw.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 64
  • scans015-fw.jpg
    scans015-fw.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 70
  • scans017-fw.jpg
    scans017-fw.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 62
  • scans018-fw.jpg
    scans018-fw.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 70
  • scans019-fw.jpg
    scans019-fw.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 58
  • scans020-fw.jpg
    scans020-fw.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 72
Our Father Gordon B. Evans, served in the South Pacific as a US Marine. Our family collection will be shared soon. This oil painting is in our collection Yes, we all LOVE our parents..(copyright Bob Evans)

Attachments

• 0181_EvansG.jpg
    0181_EvansG.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Gordon-betty.jpg
    Gordon-betty.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 57
Patent Paper is expensive and the orginal drawings are now in the US Washington Patent Office. My Dad Gordon B. Evans did the final Force Fin Patent drawings. Found this small sample of his line control with a special pen we got for the job. My Dad thanked me for making him go blind..joking. Then we had to record how the Force Fin flexed.Tryed in a pool, but the model moved to fast to get at the right angles. Both side and end views were need for our patents. So my assistant John Hodges layed down for the job. In the Backyard of 28 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara. Looks like we were using Gordon Polaroid camera. Here is a marketing piece for BG Watersports/Body Glove/Dive N Surf, showing how we used the photo's..

Attachments

• pat-drawing014-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing014-fw.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 66
  • pat-drawing001.jpg
    pat-drawing001.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 53
  • pat-drawing002-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing002-fw.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 66
  • pat-drawing003-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing003-fw.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 58
  • pat-drawing004-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing004-fw.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 60
  • pat-drawing005-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing005-fw.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 52
  • pat-drawing006-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing006-fw.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 60
  • pat-drawing016-fw.jpg
    pat-drawing016-fw.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 62
Thanks again for sharing the pictures with us.

I was so proud to use over 100,000 pounds of American made PolyUrethane, per year when we we rollig,,till the #PRESS . What a story with Frank Little, West Coast sale manager for UnRoyal. What a special Man. His nephew now runs all our American Production...Thank GOD, really they do so much for all of us. Why Force Fins Are Made In U.S.A. – Force Fin

Attachments

• forcefin-uniroyal001.jpg
    forcefin-uniroyal001.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
  • forcefin-uniroyal002.jpg
    forcefin-uniroyal002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
  • cue-fw.jpg
    cue-fw.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 48
In 1982, We had not really worked out a good heel strap design since it was not needed. The Force Fin forces its self onto you foot. I will try to bring up this point because it is kind of important..think about it. Do a simple test for your fins..remove the heel srap in a pool test. Our first fun Photo shoot was Cayman Islands. Here you can see us all diving " STRAP FREE" . Was a simple way, slip on and just kick. Force Fin never came off.....but in big California surf we found a strap was needed. In the end Bill Meistrell came up with the nyon Parachute strap, drill machine which is still used in our USA plant and brass bushings made in Ventura California. Max Meistrell swimming FREE. #FORCEFINNERSUNITE

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 47-close.jpg
    47-close.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 52
  • a-55-clean-resized.jpg
    a-55-clean-resized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 54
  • hh-34.jpg
    hh-34.jpg