Force Fin Designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point the BAF was done and ready for ocean dives. Created several different logo designs and made at least 4-5 different variations of blade designs. The first BAF was big and bulky looking. With some sanding the shape fell into place and looked balanced. Still have a few pairs hanging around in storage.

Attachments

• g-26-clean-resized.jpg
    g-26-clean-resized.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 249
  • forcefin-scans027-fw.jpg
    forcefin-scans027-fw.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 240
I have new respect for my FFs. Great posts!

Found the drawings for the BAF Design. At one point Blade Action Fins stood for interchangable fin blades. It was a challenge to work out the attatchment and learned about several problems with movements. One fin blade was made in a Tuna Tail. Every Force Fin sold today I personally made the molds, several hundred.

Attachments

• forcefin-scans003-fw.jpg
    forcefin-scans003-fw.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 241
  • forcefin-scans006-fw.jpg
    forcefin-scans006-fw.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 231
  • g-22-clean-resized.jpg
    g-22-clean-resized.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 233
Our Viet Nam Vet, Ken Stotler was one of our Force Fin Testers. BAF I LOVED ken on our boat Otra Vez , he would stay out for hours.But he is my Brother ...You would never understand how our Vet's are being treated #Sad..These pair's of BAF were clear and I had Handcast this pair..you know I have thousands of photos..it is America and who were are.

Attachments

• f-100-clean-resized.jpg
    f-100-clean-resized.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 245
I love the Chuck Taylors. They are my favorite dive boot.

Good taste never goes out of style.

Jimmy Gray holding a longer BAF blade at our 28 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, California. 1986. I will say... to shine like this,, took hours of wet/dry sand paper and a final hand waxing. Even today no one yet has captured on how we did what we did. Slowly with thousands of images we might spark more interest in this American Design Comapny. The Innovative Designs of Bob Evans, Erik Buell and Burt Rutan – Force Fin

Attachments

• a-43-clean-resized.jpg
    a-43-clean-resized.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 236
1971, Santa Barbara, California. My first Force Fin drawings, after first making a kicking sketch. Notice how the toes point downwards. Will open the door to why I developed the first open toe pocket ( patents have now lapsed ) It was really a eye opener at the time.

Attachments

• ff-22-fw.jpg
    ff-22-fw.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 203
  • ff-23-fw.jpg
    ff-23-fw.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 195
  • ff-21.jpg
    ff-21.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 195
Drawing the first Force Fin was just the beginning of a 30 plus years of Fin Designs. With chicken wire, Santa Barbara News Press and surf board resin I created a swimming model. Off to Henrys Beach in the winter for the ocean swimming test.!!!! The inside of the foot pocket was medieval and did a number on my cold feet. The blade was so stiff and to large to really do any kicking. But I could see right off the bat the curved back side worked well for the up stroke. It was the first lifting surface I developed.

Attachments

• stuff058.jpg-fw.jpg
    stuff058.jpg-fw.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 205
I started making these fiber glass fins next. So much for chicken wire.!!!! Using model clay I layup over the pattern and pulled off each half, then fiber glassed the two sections together. At the time I was attending Brooks Institute of Photography. My room mate Andy McMullen ( Later my Partner in La Mer Bleu Priductions) took this image of me with infrared 35mm film. This small blade worked much better. But one day I shared my fin designs with Dick Anderson...and...more to follow.

Attachments

• scan-3-21-2017-clean-resized.jpg
    scan-3-21-2017-clean-resized.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 196
One day my good friend and Mentor Dick Anderson showed up and looked at my fiber glass fins. At this point it was a NO NAME product, just a idea. Dick said " Hey Evans you need to get some Polyurethane from Hasting Plastics in Santa Monica, Calfornia to make your fins.!). Well guess what I did ? Got on the phone and order some of this stuff..So Dick Anderson is the guy who really opened the door to my creative ways. Thank you Dick Anderson.Dick Anderson, 73, Scuba Diver Who Was Part of a Record Feat, Is Dead

Attachments

• a-19-fw.jpg
    a-19-fw.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 200
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom