Force Fins VS the world (advice for first pair of fins?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hockey's will be the first fins Bob will make in the new Tan Delta. I suspect they will be available in September.

These are my favorites!
Well if they are available before November I might buy a pair to try on my yearly Phillipines trip if that return policy still exits.

I really expect them to be available before your trip. As far as I know, the return policy is still in effect.

Since you are in Santa Barbara, Bob might agree to loan you a pair of his for your trip, since you live in the same town.

The cost factor is completely unrelated, if they last forever, who cares?

I do actually. I get why they cost that much "to sell" (make), but that makes no difference whatsoever to my buying ability. I do not expect to last forever and am not particularly interested in paying 200% extra for tools that will.

I believe in cost-effective. If you have a condition FFs are specifically designed to treat, like stainless steel leg joints, or excessive account balance, then they're just the ticket. I don't have any of those things so I do care about the bang I won't be getting for my buck.

I cannot disagree with you at all. If the fins you have do the job, keep using them. What fins you use/need depends on the type of dives you do

I know from personal experience that I want a fin that provides me with that "extra" performance. Twice I have been on the Speigal Grove when a current kicked up after we were down and I managed to swim back the mourning ball while over half the group came up at mid ball and waited for the boat to pick them up. I have had similar experiences in Coumel. I am a 70 year old, 225#, with bad knees and a bad hip, but managed to out swim much younger divers only because of my fins.

But if your fins work for you, you don't dive in those conditions and don't see the need for that "margin", then you should not consider spending the $$$ for Force Fins. And maybe you are a young, a fit athlete and can work your fins in those situations, then I fully support your choice. All I am tring to do is let people know there is an alternative that could make your diving better.

I guess i ask here, i be going on a cruise and im looking for a good pair of fins for snorkeling and playing around on the water on small waves with the kids would force fin be a good choice.
No scuba would be involved.
Thanks.

I guess i ask here, i be going on a cruise and im looking for a good pair of fins for snorkeling and playing around on the water on small waves with the kids would force fin be a good choice.
Thanks.

Not really. They're way too expensive just for single vacation plodding around snorkeling. Even if you were only buying one pair to outfit yourself, you could still get 5 pairs of cheap mask/fin/snorkel PACKAGES for the entire family for the same price as a USED set of Pros.

Economically it just isn't a smart decision. Doesn't mean Force Fins wouldn't work for snorkeling, but are you really going to spend $230 for a single pair of Originals for everyone in your family, plus masks and snorkels on top of that?

Thanks.

A $30 US Divers set form your nearest wallyworld should be perfectly adequate for a single cruise vacation. As long as the masks fit. Also fins -- as I recall the basic US Divers are sized for bare feet and are on the narrow side.

I love how easy it is on SB for someone to ask about a choice they are contemplating, and their question solicits NOTHING about the value or price of the choice (and offers no information about their financial situation - they could be a multi-billionaire for all anyone knows), and get a raft of responses that tell them their choice is bad because of value or price....

It's equally great how a lot of the same people think nothing of recommending someone to buy an $850 Shearwater computer when ALL of the person's needs would actually be met with a $200 computer.

Apologies to the OP. I have never used Force Fins and have no idea whether they would be good for snorkeling. Well, except for one thought. For snorkeling, I would probably want full foot fins, so I didn't need to wear a boot or sock. I don't know if FF would work well for you with no sock, boot, or other "add-on".

The Force Fin foot pocket works fine for barefoot IF you wear them with a Comfort Insert to cushion the top of the foot.

If I was looking to get Force Fins to try them out or use for a family vacation - get them on ebay. They cost much less than a new pair. A gentleman posted on the Force Fin Forum recently wanting to know whether the fins he just bought were Originals or Pros. As it turned out they were Originals - made in 1981 and still looking like new - they just do not wear out.

For snorkeling, I would use Originals (or maybe even Float Tube - and they are normally very inexpensive used).

The best Force Fin model I have found for snorkeling and playing in the surf are the Rip Force. They have an adjustable foot pocket with a built in Comfort Insert (very comfortable with bare feet) and bungie heel straps and are angled so they work very well on the surface - BUT - they are not cheap nor are they easy to find used.

Just my opinion/observations - YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom