Fort Lauderdale Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcgowman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody got any recent reports on the diving off Fort Lauderdale?

Wondering what the waters temps and the surf has been for a possible beach dive.

Thanks all.

How about historical data, Zieg? What are the FLL waters like in Feb / Mar?

I'm trying to get my husband to consider US dive locations in March . . . Not sure I want to pay Key costs in Feb / Mar, but FLL might be acceptable.

A report from someone who was out yesterday:

Today, despite forecasts of rough sea conditions (4 to 6 ft waves), we took SFDH out
to the United Caribbean and Lighthouse Ledge.

Seas on top were around 2 to 4 ... but were building slightly as the day ended.
Viz on the first dive was around 40ft and on the second viz approached 60 to 80 ft.
Temps were around 78 degrees ...

Today was a little sporty...2-4' chop, mild/moderate South running current, East wind 15-20mph. Water was about 76-78 20ft down, viz was poor (like 5-10ft max). Hopefully it'll get better this week.

I watched this one all last week and was excited to see how flat the surface looked. Live Fort Lauderdale Web Cam - Fort Lauderdale CVB Got down there for a Friday morning dive and learned how quickly things can change. :depressed: But, I was anxious to try out a new photo setup, so I gave it a try anyway. With a 3mm wetsuit, I was getting a bit chilly after a couple of hours. 78F sounds right. With viz at about six feet, and surge of a similar length, I don't think I'm going to gain as much from my experimental pics as I'd hoped. :D

I did also learn that the "washboard" pattern in the sand that runs parallel to the beach doesn't always run parallel to the beach. And, if one is using that for navigation, one may take significantly longer to get home than anticipated, and may have a significantly longer walk to the car, too. :D

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom