Forum behavior: Split from "Newly Certified Diver OOA at Gilboa"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, the best thing about this thread, is it showed personalities. High strung, prideful, egoistic people like myself tends to over react. And there are alot of personalities like this on SB.

All right, how many people can I offend in one day?

I thought that my disclaimer was pretty good:

"I am a mental health patient, pretending to be a docotr on scubaboard."

Then, I am hurting the feeling of real people with mental disease. But what a better disclaimer than that?

I am sure someone will find my new signature offensive as well. Geez, have a little sense of humor? Otherwise, we'll all go crazy.

At least I am being honest by saying I am a mental health patient.

Then, I am hurting the feeling of real people with mental disease. But what a better disclaimer than that?

I am sure someone will find my new signature offensive as well. Geez, have a little sense of humor? Otherwise, we'll all go crazy.

JUST DO NOT put anything in there about Christmas either for fear of offending those who do not celebrate it. OR anything about religion because you may offend other religions. OR anything about one of the sexes because you may offend the other. OR...OR...OR...OR...welcome to our time. Where we can live as other see fit as long as we conform to their rules not matter what our beliefs are.

I love the sig line. :wink:

Sitting here reading this thread to kill time before heading to the gym. :popcorn:

And it is just kinda seems to all have settled out. Although I don't really know what it was all about to begin with.:confused:

Hmmm. Notice NetDoc said he wasn't a sockpuppet of OneSpeed. Perhaps vice-versa? :)

NetDoc I am responding to your response to me in this thread. Yes I have taken a step back to consider my response.

I can assure you that I do NOT "constantly see those who disagree with me" as "jerks". I do see people that are being unpleasant, tiresome (Roget's Thesaurus online) as being jerks while they are behaving in that way. By my own admission I have been a "jerk" at times.

As I said in my PM to you I believe it would be a loss to the board to see fisherdvm leave and I felt he had been jumped on in the thread. You looked at the thread made your decision. I appreciated your taking the time to check things out, accepted your decision and thanked you for doing so.

I am glad you said "IF you see those who disagree with YOUR opinion as "foes" because I most certainly DO NOT! The only opinion I have stated here is that people could have expressed their opinions in a more constuctive way. I did not voice an opinion on the issues related to DM, PADI, NAUI or liability issues because I am not qualified to do so. I am qualified in adult education and train others in that field particularly in effective communication skills. I can tell you that if I communicated my differences of opinion or allowed participants in my courses to communicate in the manner that I have seen here I would not be employed long! I understand and accept that there are cultural differences in what is considered polite/effective conversation. I see that reflected here too because others have expressed the same views as I have.

You stated elsewhere that we set the standard by letting you know what we find acceptable. I and several others have tried to do that. Let me assure you I did not and do not see myself as some kind of politness police frankly I wouldn't accept that job if I was paid for it!

I was taught that when you see something you think is wrong the first step is to seriously consider and reconsider your interpretation. If you still think it is wrong the second step is to try to change it because if no one stands up for what they think it right nothing will improve. The final action is to reconsider steps one and two and remove yourself if you can not effect the changes you feel are appropriate.

I do not think my decision to stop participating in SB forums is a loss to the board (I still believe losing fisherdvm would be) because my area of expertise is in effective communication and my insight on that issue is neither appreciated or wanted here.:ignore:

NetDoc I am responding to your response to me in this thread. Yes I have taken a step back to consider my response.

I can assure you that I do NOT "constantly see those who disagree with me" as "jerks". I do see people that are being unpleasant, tiresome (Roget's Thesaurus online) as being jerks while they are behaving in that way. By my own admission I have been a "jerk" at times.

As I said in my PM to you I believe it would be a loss to the board to see fisherdvm leave and I felt he had been jumped on in the thread. You looked at the thread made your decision. I appreciated your taking the time to check things out, accepted your decision and thanked you for doing so.

I am glad you said "IF you see those who disagree with YOUR opinion as "foes" because I most certainly DO NOT! The only opinion I have stated here is that people could have expressed their opinions in a more constuctive way. I did not voice an opinion on the issues related to DM, PADI, NAUI or liability issues because I am not qualified to do so. I am qualified in adult education and train others in that field particularly in effective communication skills. I can tell you that if I communicated my differences of opinion or allowed participants in my courses to communicate in the manner that I have seen here I would not be employed long! I understand and accept that there are cultural differences in what is considered polite/effective conversation. I see that reflected here too because others have expressed the same views as I have.

You stated elsewhere that we set the standard by letting you know what we find acceptable. I and several others have tried to do that. Let me assure you I did not and do not see myself as some kind of politness police frankly I wouldn't accept that job if I was paid for it!

I was taught that when you see something you think is wrong the first step is to seriously consider and reconsider your interpretation. If you still think it is wrong the second step is to try to change it because if no one stands up for what they think it right nothing will improve. The final action is to reconsider steps one and two and remove yourself if you can not effect the changes you feel are appropriate.

I do not think my decision to stop participating in SB forums is a loss to the board (I still believe losing fisherdvm would be) because my area of expertise is in effective communication and my insight on that issue is neither appreciated or wanted here.:ignore:

Bowlofpetunias, I've logged in to reply to your post. I personally think that anyone who leaves SB is a loss, but especially those who have offered support and constructive criticism, and bring a depth of diving experience to the board.

Unfortunately we bring our own expectations and beliefs about what is right and wrong to any forum, and that doesn't always sit well with other people. The term "acceptable" is a rather hazy one; what one person thinks is acceptable, another won't, for whatever reason, for example, cultural, religious and political beliefs, even upbringing effect the way people view things. So many influences come into play to make up a person's reactions to another, including I might add what's going on in their day or week, or life at the time. The problem arises as you say, with the way those opinions are expressed.

I've been told I'm trying to be some sort of arbiter of what is right and wrong on here. Absolutely nothing could be further from the truth. I bought my own expectations and beliefs to this board, and others disagreed with those, as they are allowed to do. I guess for me it was more the form of the disagreement and I've learnt a valuable lesson. I was also told I needed to grow a thicker skin; I won't disagree with that either as I admit I found some of the criticism hard to take, and for my own sake decided to withdraw from here and just read from now on. What happens in the future is anyone's guess, but I've mended some bridges and that's a positive step I believe.

Communication is a powerful tool, and I believe your input can only lead to it's betterment on this board. I can certainly understand your wish to not participate anymore, but I hope you will reconsider. We need people like you here, to offer a different perspective, to keep some of us on our toes and to talk about issues like this openly and respectfully.

Back
Top Bottom