Forum behavior: Split from "Newly Certified Diver OOA at Gilboa"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread could use a good hijack.

Anyone want to talk about split fins?

My personal policy regarding forums is this: If I find myself pissed off over something someone wrote on the internet, I have a perception problem that needs to be addressed.

I've had one or two responses to my posts which were less than polite over the years, but nothing I've lost sleep over or even whine about. I can't recall making rude posts, but I have made a few that might be considered challenging. There is a great deal of misinformation presented which needs to be squashed for the benefit of those who can't tell the difference.

If you are posting for love and admiration, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for fulfillment.

Posting for love and admiration?? You are right. I lose focus. I post only to ask questions and to learn. Gosh darn nasty answer I first got here - made a mistake arguing in favor of the little yellow Spair Air. Quickly was called a troll (which I did not intend to)... Now I know, the little yellow spaire air has no friends on SB.

Took me a long time to learn to weather the belittling remarks. It can be a tough crowd. Gentle in the New Divers sections, but beyond it, it can be rough.

On the subject of complete and honest profile? Why should anyone care? I've met 2 SB members, and they are both nice. We'll probably meet one another on a dive boat somewhere.... maybe?

But the funniest thing I ever noted on an internet forum was a member of Judoforum. com. He was known as Sankaku. He portrayed himself as a semipro MMA fighter, a judo instructor, and a muay thai student. He eventually got "promoted" to a "staff" member of the MMA discussion. And he did a great job. Knew his moves, kicks, etc. His "fake" girlfriend and other fake friend - sock puppets were there to support him, and reported on his fighting bouts. It took a while to out him, over 6 months. But he would not clearly let me know where his matches are.

Just to tell you, one can fool another to believing in anything on the internet. Even if one were to pretend to be a doctor or dive instructor.

Yet, we have seen some DOOZIES. It makes me chuckle to think of the guy who one week was asking where he could get certified and the next week was telling us the best place to find plates on the Andrea Doria within the week. How about the guy who had two near fatal accidents in a week, only to "die" (in cyber kind of way) and have his "son" come on to create all sorts of drama about his death. It's amazing how they misspelled the very same words in the very same way. Then there was the girl posing as a Fireman serving in Iraq who turned out to be a Sophomore in a Tampa High School. Oye, it makes my head hurt!

Good stuff, NetDoc.:rofl3:

Then there was the girl posing as a Fireman serving in Iraq who turned out to be a Sophomore in a Tampa High School. Oye, it makes my head hurt!

Whoa, what was the premise behind that one?

Whoa, what was the premise behind that one?
I don't know, and I am sure that I don't WANT to know. We even met her at an SB event and it took some cyber sleuthing to connect those dots.

However, I would like to point out that contrary to popular opinion, I am NOT OneSpeed's Sock Puppet. :D

Yet, we have seen some DOOZIES. It makes me chuckle to think of the guy who one week was asking where he could get certified and the next week was telling us the best place to find plates on the Andrea Doria within the week. How about the guy who had two near fatal accidents in a week, only to "die" (in cyber kind of way) and have his "son" come on to create all sorts of drama about his death. It's amazing how they misspelled the very same words in the very same way. Then there was the girl posing as a Fireman serving in Iraq who turned out to be a Sophomore in a Tampa High School. Oye, it makes my head hurt!

Having moderated on some forums, it never ceases to amaze me some of the stories that people put up about themselves on the net and the length they will go to to try to prove you wrong when you catch them lying or breaking rules... And then there is what they do when you have the 'nerve' to ban them (off a private forum you fund yourself no less). I've been harassed via email and through social networking sites by people I have banned, and then by their sock puppets, which they have used to insult me anonymously (though it is often easy to match up people based on language). Crazy people out there... :shakehead:

I think given the medium used to communicate on forums, people should be more conscious of what they are saying and how it comes across as you have no emotion to take the edge of some things. I often reread posts I have made trying to be helpful and come across as an arrogant a***. I find emoticons help a lot! And yea, I find it really helps to have a thick skin as you can be easily misinterpreted or can easily misinterpret another, and the best thing you can do when misinterpreted is PM with an apology rather than keep it going on a public thread.

Rick, do you feel that being an SB staff helps? You can delete posts at will, and reign people in with your power. Perhaps that's why you get nicer response than others?

:rofl3: You should read some of the stuff we get! The thing with being "staff" or posting as an expert in some field is that people hold you to a higher standard. If that isn't something that you want, you probably shouldn't post as an expert.

I read the thread that this was split from and really I didn't see any posts that were inflammatory. I saw many of the posts offering advice as well as being concerned for your liability. Funny thing.....perspectives....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom