Forum consensus inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee once bubbled...
On the contrary, your entrance here has shown you to be a polite person, asking a reasonable question in an unthreathening manor.

BTW...Welcome to Scuba Board! :eek:ut:
I second Dee's motion... all in favor make pirate sounds.

Welcome aboard!
Some of us are diving at Gilboa Nov. 16/17 if you want to show up and meet people! See the Kentucky Pirahna section of the board.
Ber :bunny:

While I cannot say anything as to the TOS, I can offer an observation from the viewpoint of someone reading the posts. I think Dee was onto something when she said:

Dee once bubbled...
One difference in your post and those already posted, is the authors are all long standing, well established members. You are a new member who posted the trip as your very first post.

Actually, I read your original post and didn't really see anything too bad with it. However, on the other side of the coin I have seen in the past questions from members concerning a certain geographical location, and someone coming along to respond with a "call me, here's my website, here's my email, here's my phone, this is what I charge, and by the way, I'M THE BEST!!!" They then proceed to put this on EVERY SINGLE post asking about this location. Better yet, a competitor of theirs then comes along and posts right after for their own establishment.

That is the kind of thing that bugs me - all advertising, no real participation. However, I hope you stick around and I hope to see more of your posts.

Chepar:

I am getting a sense of what you mean. As I currently understand it, the reason for my post being deleted may have been a well-meaning premptive strike by the moderator to prevent spamming. Not knowing who I am, or what my intentions were, I can accept that as a reasonable course to take.

However, as I had mentioned before, it struck a nerve because, to me, it didn't make sense looking in from the outside.

It may have come down to a judgement call by the moderator to delete my post. Certainly the moderator has more experience and knowledge of the board then I and consequently made the call they felt neccessary. I haven't seen the shenanigans that you speak of by "advertisers" but I believe you. I know even divers can be morons at times.

I still believe that posting openings on trips and charters is a great idea. Maybe it does need its own catagory although I believe "group trips" makes the most sense. That said, and after hearing your thoughts, it is quite possible that such a new catagory would be inundated with advertising spam.

This is a tough one but I'm glad we are talking about it.

Cheers!

Mark

Hi Mark:
Welcome to scuba board. Just for the record we never delete posts. Your post was moved to our management forum.
Hope that makes you feel better.
Looking forward to your contributions as an instructor.
:)

Mark,

I happen to catch your original post before it was removed and I have to say that red flags went up for me because you were new and your primary sales pitch for the trip seemed to be "come go on this trip and fill a slot so I can go for free!" I understand that comp trips are a large part of the diving world but most are not quite so blantant in their promotion of it. I guess I should have seen it as a fantastic attempt at honesty but maybe your sales pitch could use some work!

That said, I don't think your intention was to spam and I also agree that your forum selection was correct for the type of post so as a long time member, I was not put off by it. I think your follow up posts have been very appropriate and I to look forward to your future participation on the board. I think you will find that your first impression of us was uncharacteristically abrupt but we are normally a very open-minded group.

Again Welcome Aboard,
:bunny: Heather :bunny:

Hi Mark... I saw your original post... then I saw that it had disappeared, and commented on that to one of the mods.

I saw nothing wrong with your post. You stated that you needed to fill a couple of slots or you would lose your free slot. I don't see many others running group trips talking about their free ride.

Heck... it was a group trip. He spelled out the deal. He's not a travel agent that will be advertising constantly.

Oh well... maybe you'll be allowed to post something like the following:

"Looking for a buddy...anyone interested in a liveaboard trip in Australia.... email me"

??? maybe not.

KC_Scubabunny once bubbled...
Mark,
...your primary sales pitch for the trip seemed to be "come go on this trip and fill a slot so I can go for free!" I understand that comp trips are a large part of the diving world but most are not quite so blantant in their promotion of it.

should they say "Hey, join me on this group trip. Pay more than you would if you set it up yourself, so I can go free"?

a public matter, I will explain why the post was pulled. In Marksm's original post, he stated

The shop I work with (Aqua Hut) in Toledo has been planning a trip on the Spoilsport in Austrailia for some time now and just had four last minute cancellations.

This statement, coupled with the fact that this was one of his very first posts to the board made it look as if he were advertising the trip for the shop he works with. As most of you know, this kind of advertising is not allowed on Scuba Board without the prior consent of KN or myself.

If you see commercial posts about trips in the group trips forum, it is because the poster has contacted us to make arrangements for posting the details.

Back
Top Bottom