fossil identification help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LukeWarm13

Registered
Reaction score
My wife found this while tooth diving off the NC coast. We guessed it was a whale bone but we have no clue what we're talking about. Its hollow on one end and closed off on the other. The closed end looks like spongy bone marrow.

Ideas? Do you need to see any other angles?

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1715small.jpg
    IMG_1715small.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1716small.jpg
    IMG_1716small.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1717small.jpg
    IMG_1717small.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 238
You should re-post this in Florida Conch Divers section.........Lots of Fossil Hunters there and someone will probably know what it is or tell you where to look to find out.

Thanks. I posted it in the Florida's conch divers section and someone told me it looked like the base of a deer antler too. pretty cool.

Base of a Deer Antler ... Yes.. and since the one end is the Skull cap, and the other is hollow it could have been a handle for a knife or altered by man. If so its not a fossil its an artifact. Since it doesnt show any cut marks or drillings it a toss up, Id say fossil. Our fossils in Florida are normally black and Pleiocene age and younger.

Neat find and a keeper, let it dry slowly if it feels light. Heavy mineralization would mean solid and ok to dry qith air, but if its light and feels flakey like then semi wet drying is the way to go with some acetone/ducco cement/ Elmers glue process.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom