Fossil Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
A group of us Northerners are planning to be in Key largo in August.

We already have our morning dives all planned, but one of our group is very big into fossil hunting. Above or below the water, so I was wondering if there was anything anywhere near the area that we could take him to for one of our afternoon SI's.

Any help would be appreciated, looking to fill our days with fun for the whole group. Sometimes it can get boring after the morning dives are done and since we are in a new place I try to keep us moving.

Paula

I don't know of any places to fossil near Key Largo.

Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park

You can't collect fossils there but there are a lot to look at.

"Welcome to Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park
Formed of Key Largo limestone, fossilized coral, this land was sold to the Florida East Coast Railroad, which used the stone to build Henry Flagler's Overseas Railroad in the early 1900s. After the railroad was built, the quarry was used until the 1960s to produce exquisite pieces of decorative stone called Keystone. Today, visitors can walk along eight-foot-high quarry walls to see cross sections of the ancient coral and learn about the quarry and its operation- an important part of Florida's 20th century history. Samples of the quarry machinery have been preserved at the park. Visitors can enjoy the natural attributes of this island while strolling five short, self-guided trails. Picnic tables are available. The visitor center, open Thursday through Monday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., features educational exhibits about the history of this site. Located at Mile Marker 85.5 on Windley Key near Islamorada.

Contact the Florida Park Service Information Center for general inquiries.
For Information about Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park, please call 305-664-2540.

Hours of Operation
Florida state parks are open from 8 a.m. until sundown 365 days a year.

Driving Directions
Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park is located on Windley Key at Mile Marker 85.5 near Islamorada.

Park Fees
Please call the Park for information at 305-664-2540.

P.O. Box 1052
Islamorada, Florida 33036
Phone: 305-664-2540
Fax: Contact Park for Number"

Thanks guys for all of the info. I appreciate it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom