Foster's in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brj8826

New
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering going to Roatan for a little R&R and diving in a few months. We came across Foster's and were wanting opinions on both the resort and the diving. We are considering staying in the cool looking treehouse.

Can anyone compare the diving to Grand Cayman or the Key's? Those are the places I dive most frequently. This will be my wife's first dives since being certified in Bali.

Are the boat rides to the dive sites very long? What is the average visibility and temp like in December?

Any inputs on the resort or diving would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Fosters. Which side of the island is it on..north or south?

Roatan is much more third world than Cayman with more poverty.
Lots of nasty no see-ums. Fosters is in a good area and Roatan diving in my opinion is similar to Cayman. Prices tend to be reasonable. Consider an all inclusive like Anthonys Key for cost containment.

We stayed in Cabana #1 at Fosters in July and dove with Bananarama. Fosters is great. When I go back to Roatan I will stay there again. Our cabana was 50 steps from the beach, had air conditioning, hot water, a 5 gallon water cooler, a microwave, and a fridge. We paid about $80/night. Food in West bay/West end is not that expensive (depends on where you eat), so in my opinion, all iclusive is not necessary. Our boat rides to the dive sights were usually 15 minutes or less. I thought the diving was great, but my experience is limited (Fiji and Roatan). I liked Bananarama and would dive with them again. Let me know if you have any other questions about fosters or bananarama.

FYI...I believe the tree house is just that. I do not think it has hot water or electric. You may want to ask first if that is not what you are looking for. Leslie (the contact person through their website...http://www.fostersroatan.com) does a good job of anwering questions.

Jamie

Sounds like fun to be in a treehouse!

Comparing the price you mentioned of $80 per night for the cabana- to any of the other all inclusives that run about $110 per night including 3 meals and all the diving you can stand- makes the equation a bit off balance.

It would be interesting to hear from any who have tried this- what is the real cost of getting a cabana ($/night/people), hiring out dives ($/dive), food ($/person/day).

Most places in the Caribbean get a minimum of $20-25 for a tank dive, with slight discounts for multiples. Restaurants, even on the West end, can really add up in prices.

I would indeed like to hear those figures, but then I would compare it to the ease of any of the large resorts such as AKR, FIBR or CCV (my favorite) where all you have to do is fall out of bed, eat, dive, sleep. No hassle, no muss, no fuss. For the included price of $110/day at CocoView, I can get 5 dives a day without a problem. Except for lack of sleep.

The treehouse at Fosters still sounds like fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom