Found a knife- how to find/make a sheath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air_Miser

Reaction score
Hi,

I found a knife and I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips on making a sheath? It has a spring-loaded button in the handle, presumably to keep it locked in the sheath, but it appears that didn't work too well for the last guy.

Any suggestions of materials to make a sheath much appreciated.

Matt.

Backplate or weightbelt webbing. Just get a cobbler at your local shoe repair place to sew a loop on the back and a loop to hold the knife in. If you're diving a BP/wing you just need a loop on the back to hold it on your harness... if you haven't smartened up about a BP/Wing combo, you'd have to figure out your own method of attaching it to your BC.

i have made several sheaths out of backplate webbing, just take a piece of webbing and fold a belt loop in it and sew it down, the then take the other side and fold it up forming the sheath part and sew along the sides. Depending on the size of the knife the size of your webbing ,the tight stiching, and extra stiff webbing will be all that is needed to hold your knife in. No other retension. I cannot get mine to fall out, but it draws easy when i need it. For these KA-Bars the regular 1.5 inch webbing is the perfect size just sew right on the edge for a tight fit, if you knife is a bit slimmer you might trim the webbing thinner or sew a little more into the edge. On the sheath portion, don't sew quite all the way to the bottom and the water will drain easy and you can put a boot lace through it to tie around your let to secure it to your leg if needed for field use. You need a heavy sewing machine for this though!! ( prob the kind built into a table) as you will bust needle's and thread right from the git go with a small machine. I have a 5 HP old singer. It will also be easier on your machine and to bend and fold if you soak the webbing in hot water, its alot easier to work wet. Here is some pics.

kurt

ps the one on the top has a angled belt loop for a cross draw, i wear it on my left so it lays back and stays out of the way and can be drawn with either hand. The bottom one i can wear on either hip and hangs strait down.

pic #2

Hey, thanks for the tips & pics guys.

I did a little experimenting last night and it looks like it will work. I used a weight belt and 3/8" pop-rivets, so far so good.

Next thing is to buy straps, then I'll finish it and post some pics if anyone's interested.

Matt.

look for a diver that has a sheath with no knife in it at the location you found it. When you find him tell him you lost your sheath for the same knife.

It looks like you need kydex sheath... The best you can do is to contact kydex sheath maker (I suggest to start with one of the best: www.survivalsheath.com), tell the guy what you need, how & where you’d like to carry the knife, how you’d like to draw it, what kind of fasteners you need etc. Such a sheath, custom made for the knife and your needs, is the best you can get. I know that for some people custom sheath sounds like overkill, but it’s life saving instrument and it’s not where you want to make savings. I’m sure you can find perfect sheath for under $80 or so… just surf around and ask :)

PiterM:
... I’m sure you can find perfect sheath for under $80 or so… :)
I can fix ya up with a sheath for $75, & even throw in the knife. :eyebrow:

Seriously though, post a pic & give blade & handle measurements, someone here may have a spare sheath laying around.

Back
Top Bottom