Found a wreck today!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Wife and I are staying at a cottage on Winnisquam Lake in N.H. I brought a 10ft Inflatable to row to differant spots and dive. This morning I rowed almost a mile to a good drop off. Jackpot!!! A old 25ft lapstrateweck. Probably sunk in the 20s or 30s? Centered engine is rusted gone, But the hull is upright and intact. Bow is on a steep slope in about 20ft and the stern a dark 45ft. I pryed a oramental carving off the bow...Too dark for my camera. I love these N.H. Lakes ...always find some neat thing....Thanks Dave C. for the depth map

Awesome find Porgy!!
I think thats a dream we all have, to find an unknown wreck.
Would love to have been there.

Thanks Petrieps....We go thru alot of work to dive places...some time it pays off...in memories. Would have loved to share the find with a buddy. This site is the next best thing:wink:

Yes, we do go through alot to find good dive sites. I'm constantly pulling out my charts in search of new bottom. Never gave fresh water much thought though, maybe that'll have to change.

Way to go, man! :D

Finding something like that is a real thrill! I had a similar experience on Winnipesaukee a few years ago. I was just poking along the base of a slope in 50' of water when something big and white materialized! It was a roughly 30-foot-long cabin cruiser called the Empty Pockets. I pried off a couple of 10-inch chromed brass cleats which now adorn a basement shelf.

Did you have a portable sonar to find the drop-off?

Need to hear more.... :D

Have fun!

Dave C

No Sonar.....Just the map...Google earth satillite, to find landmarks and off I row. I could locate the wreck again or tell someone how to find it. Unfortunatly after the find it's only a 25ft ''husk'' of a boat underwater. Would love to know the circumstances of the sinking. It is nice that most boats are painted white. Like your Cabin cruiser Dave, this loomed out of the gloom. Going out again today...hard to top that experience :D

"I pryed a oramental carving off the bow...Too dark for my camera." <<<<<< NOBODY should EVER remove ANYTHING from a wreck EVER !!!

That's disgusting behaviour to me or anyone I know who finds wrecks and documents them to identify them

"I pryed a oramental carving off the bow...Too dark for my camera." <<<<<< NOBODY should EVER remove ANYTHING from a wreck EVER !!!

That's disgusting behaviour to me or anyone I know who finds wrecks and documents them to identify them

Of course, preservation is desirable in cases of historical significance, but certainly NOT as a blanket policy.

In a small, developed lake, used heavily for recreation for many years, a small motorboat rotting on the bottom most likely got there after being scuttled to remove an eyesore or perhaps sunk during a drunken mishap or other mundane circumstance.

This wreck, IMHO, is highly unlikely to have any historical significance and taking some of this boat as a keepsake or conversation piece is an excellent alternative to leaving it rotting unseen in the mud.

I'd love to get up there and preserve a bit of it for my collection.... before it completely rots away and is totally lost.... :D

Dave C

Last edited:
i think that was the the famous iss lapstrke, used to fight of bear attacks in NH, damm boy you did good :rofl3:

Just kidding LOL good for you Kevin !! i tryed calling you a few times but no luck :(

Sure did enjoy being with you on the cape , cant thank you enuff !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom