Found shark tooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stern

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello people,

While I was running on the beach this morning I found this shark tooth, and currently I am in the process of trying to figure what kind of shark it belongs to. It is approximately 2 inches long... My guess so far is a Bull Shark, but I think it could also be a small great white tooth. I was wondering if somebody could help me out?

IMG_0462.jpg

Upper front tooth of a GWS, and at 2" in length, not from a small specimen ...

Found 1 1/2" tooth identical to yours on Deerfield Bch. a few years ago.....Although not impossible, unlikely it's a Great White...They tend to be a cold water species and prey on large animals......Although a few years back a large GW was caught off the Florida Keys....Last several years various species have been sighted outside of their normal range/habitat...Science thinks it may be due to things like over-fishing, climate change, geologic shifts etc..........Would be interesting to get an expert opinion......Thanks for sharing Stern........

That is so cool to find. I would definatly say a great white tooth but i'm not an expert so you should get it checked out by one.
Nice one!

Hello Stern...

it is definitely a great white shark tooth. nice find! i am a big fan of sharks and sharks teeth. i have made a hobby of hunting and collecting sharks teeth. 99.9% of the teeth i find are fossilized. I have some books that help me identify my finds

what the guys say about fossilized great white teeth is that every 1" of angular length approximately equals 10 feet of shark. The adult Bull shark, from what i gather, is about half the size of the adult Tiger and Great White Shark. The Tiger and GW are the largest of the sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom