Fourth Element Dry base?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquabot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I need some opinions on the FE Dry base undergarments. I currently have the arctic set and its like diving in a sauna in FL springs. Im thinking about using the dry as a stand alone undergarment. What say the masses?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

arctic in FL...I feel bad for you.

You want the fourth element xerotherm.

It's lighter, wicking and should be good for temps in the low 60's to mid 70's.

arctic in FL...I feel bad for you.

You want the fourth element xerotherm.

It's lighter, wicking and should be good for temps in the low 60's to mid 70's.
Yeah I was drenched in sweat lol. Oddly tho I did not feel hot at all. In my wet suit I am more than comfortable in a 5 mil.

I own both the Artic and Drybase. The drybase is thicker than I thought it would be (in a good way, I thought it would be more like a thin set of under armor). Turns out it worked very well this summer in SoCal when the water temps were high 60's to high 70's.

I own both the Artic and Drybase. The drybase is thicker than I thought it would be (in a good way, I thought it would be more like a thin set of under armor). Turns out it worked very well this summer in SoCal when the water temps were high 60's to high 70's.
Interesting

Interesting

I have no experience with the drybase. I dove arctic for a year and I recently picked up a set of xerotherm. My experiences might also be colored by the fact that I dive a CF200 and not a thin trilaminate suit.

In the summer I was diving a pair of military thermals (patagonia capilene 3 top and bottom) and arctic socks. I picked them up for $33 a piece ($66 total) online. The capilene was great when the water was in the high 60's and 70's above the thermocline or the St. Lawrence. When I was diving deeper than 30ft or in places with multiple thermoclines (water in the low to mid 50s), I would mostly dive the arctic. I might mix and match, dive the capilene for one dive if I wasn't going to be at depth too long. While the cold was bearable for these dives, they were within NDLs and it was noticeably "cooler".

I don't know if what kind of suit you dive or if your body runs hot or cold, but if you are looking to save some money than take a look at the patagonia and see if it suits your needs. If money isn't an issue, I would look at the xerotherm. Good wicking layer, better thermal protection/wider temp range. I'll probably make the xerotherms my standard light undergarments, but I haven't had a chance to dive them in warm water.

On a personal note, I never really understood how someone could overheat in their suit until I did a dive in my arctic undergarments where the majority of time was spent above the thermocline in water ~72 degrees. I was so warm I was ready to say f**k it and flood the suit.

I have no experience with the drybase. I dove arctic for a year and I recently picked up a set of xerotherm. My experiences might also be colored by the fact that I dive a CF200 and not a thin trilaminate suit.

In the summer I was diving a pair of military thermals (patagonia capilene 3 top and bottom) and arctic socks. I picked them up for $33 a piece ($66 total) online. The capilene was great when the water was in the high 60's and 70's above the thermocline or the St. Lawrence. When I was diving deeper than 30ft or in places with multiple thermoclines (water in the low to mid 50s), I would mostly dive the arctic. I might mix and match, dive the capilene for one dive if I wasn't going to be at depth too long. While the cold was bearable for these dives, they were within NDLs and it was noticeably "cooler".

I don't know if what kind of suit you dive or if your body runs hot or cold, but if you are looking to save some money than take a look at the patagonia and see if it suits your needs. If money isn't an issue, I would look at the xerotherm. Good wicking layer, better thermal protection/wider temp range. I'll probably make the xerotherms my standard light undergarments, but I haven't had a chance to dive them in warm water.

On a personal note, I never really understood how someone could overheat in their suit until I did a dive in my arctic undergarments where the majority of time was spent above the thermocline in water ~72 degrees. I was so warm I was ready to say f**k it and flood the suit.
Went ahead and ordered the dry base. Simply because it was cheaper and I dont nessasarily get cold to easy. My side mount course was done in 70 degree f water with a BT of about 133 in a 5mil lol. My suit is a pinnacle trilaminit. Ive only dove my arctic set in FL springs, where the majority of my diving is anyway, and needless to say I had underestimated the thermal capabilities lol.

Last edited:
Why not just get some Under Armour cold gear. I use that with my Fusion Bullet @60* and warmer. With the combo of dry gloves and thick hood it's perfect.

Why not just get some Under Armour cold gear. I use that with my Fusion Bullet @60* and warmer. With the combo of dry gloves and thick hood it's perfect.
I've never used UA products and definitely don't have a need for dry gloves in FL springs lol

All in all I was/am very happy with the drybase. Avg temp was 68. I did get chilly but my suit also leaked non stop too (4 days and 8 dives). I have a new SEAC suit coming so that with the drybase I think Ill be more than warm enough.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom