France plans shark massacre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how they chose 90 to be the number of sharks to be killed. Seems like a fairly random number to me.

Sacre bleu! That'll learn 'em... (sarcasm)

Or have one ask them to surrender. They'll do it. It's like the old joke that was told years ago - If you know someone who is French raise your hand. If you are French raise both and run.

Or have one ask them to surrender. They'll do it. It's like the old joke that was told years ago - If you know someone who is French raise your hand. If you are French raise both and run.

I've never heard that one, so it's new to me...funny, though, so I'm going to borrow it myself.

In all seriousness, this is sad. It's one thing to be afraid of sharks and not go in the water. I don't agree with it, but I can at least see the rationale. But, it's another thing altogether to go out and kill sharks as "revenge" or to try to reduce the population to lessen the chances of an "attack." Jaws came out 40 years ago! Haven't we moved past this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps we should get in touch with Enric Sala.

It's a shame the french aren't a little smarter than this. It's also unfortunate that this probably won't get the attention necessary to embarrass them enough to dissuade them.

Seems pretty short sighted. The sharks are there because there is prey for them to eat. When there are less sharks the prey will increase in numbers which will just bring the sharks back. It's all about a natural equilibrium.

This is absolutely short-sighted and ridiculous. As short-sighted and ridiculous as comments such as:
"It's a shame the french aren't a little smarter than this. It's also unfortunate that this probably won't get the attention necessary to embarrass them enough to dissuade them."
Trust me for it, I'm French!

Anyway I was outraged when I first read about the intention to kill sharks. As usual, it all started when a not so successful local politician looked for a way to make waves and to regain/retain popularity. Nothing new here, but the really unacceptable bit is that the central government actually went along with this rather than stepping in to stop the culling. In the meantime, the Minister for the Environment resigned, so there may have been some dissent among the Government, let alone the entire French populace.

Similar discussions took place in Western Australia this year after a few deaths including scuba divers at the same time as Australia is establishing a network of marine parks. Some great whites actually got killed!

The natural reaction still seems to be "kill them all so they don't kill us first" no matter where on earth. So, as sad as this may be, NO is clearly the answer to the question: "
Jaws came out 40 years ago! Haven't we moved past this?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom