Free diver recovered - Hollywood, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
HOLLYWOOD, FLA. (WSVN) - A diver was presumably found dead after an exhaustive search off the Coast of Hollywood Beach.

A beachgoer found what appeared to be the diver’s body near Johnson Street and alerted police, Friday morning.

While the body has not been identified by police, the description is a match for 67-year-old Howard Sal.

On Thursday, Sal was last seen free diving in Hollywood Beach.

He was wearing a black wetsuit and using a white paddleboard.

I've got to say, reposting numerous accident reports, many that are only vaguely related to SCUBA, and most where there will be no substantial factual follow-up or accident analysis, falls somewhere on the scale between "useless" and "morbid".

What's the benefit to the community?

This report, like many that are posted here, has little potential for improving the practice of SCUBA diving. How is this report different from so many others where the only lessons are generic and well-known (be in good physical condition, let others know where you will be, carry identification, and sh*it happens anyway)?

I've got to say, reposting numerous accident reports, many that are only vaguely related to SCUBA, and most where there will be no substantial factual follow-up or accident analysis, falls somewhere on the scale between "useless" and "morbid".

What's the benefit to the community?

This report, like many that are posted here, has little potential for improving the practice of SCUBA diving. How is this report different from so many others where the only lessons are generic and well-known (be in good physical condition, let others know where you will be, carry identification, and sh*it happens anyway)?
It never hurts to remind folks how easy something can go wrong...

many that are only vaguely related to SCUBA
Free diving is discussed on the site. If you're not interested in it, skip the thread titles mentioning it, like this one. I long thought it was a harmless endeavor for a good swimmer and did it frequently with no training. I am now amazed that I survived not knowing what risks I didn't know about.

It never hurts to remind folks how easy something can go wrong...
Sure, in principle.

How, exactly, does this account -- with absolutely no details on how it went wrong -- remind anyone of "how easily something can go wrong"? There's no information in the article to suggest that whatever went wrong was "easy" or difficult or anything else.

Like many of the accident posts here, this is little more than a headline. I doubt there will be any useful follow-up or accident analysis.

What was there about the original post that benefits the community?

I certainly see the value in some of these posts, and I'm not saying that freediving should be excluded. However, this post -- like so many -- is just a link to a news article, with limited facts. How does this prevent SCUBA diver or free-diver accidents?

Free diving is discussed on the site. If you're not interested in it, skip the thread titles mentioning it, like this one. I long thought it was a harmless endeavor for a good swimmer and did it frequently with no training. I am now amazed that I survived not knowing what risks I didn't know about.
OK, sure.

What was it about the original article that added to your knowledge of freediving risks?

Sure, in principle.

How, exactly, does this account -- with absolutely no details on how it went wrong -- remind anyone of "how easily something can go wrong"? There's no information in the article to suggest that whatever went wrong was "easy" or difficult or anything else.

Like many of the accident posts here, this is little more than a headline. I doubt there will be any useful follow-up or accident analysis.

I certainly see the value in some of these posts, and I'm not saying that freediving should be excluded. However, this post -- like so many -- is just a link to a news article, with limited facts. How does this prevent SCUBA diver or free-diver accidents?
Just that it was posted is enough as an alert to remind some people to keep on their toes, Yes more detailed would be helpful , but one can find them if interested. For Some folks a simple reminder that diving, is not always as easy as falling overboard..

What was it about the original article that added to your knowledge of freediving risks?

More information is often added to a thread as it becomes available. Almost all early accident articles are vague, incomplete, or misleading but it motivates other members to BOLO for more information that can be shared in the thread.

Sure, in principle.

Many in the community find value even in accounts like these (and more often in the discussions they lead to). The question could also be asked "how does complaining about it add to the community"? Not being difficult, but to paraphrase an old quote "read and let read".... if the particular thread isn't of value to you... stop reading it.

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom