Free Electronic Logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi RSS, I really like the format of the form. One question though, what's RIB from shore and RIB from boat stand for?

While everyone else is getting their wish list in:

How about a PocketPC (Windows Mobile) port !

...steve...

ReefHound:
I haven't really looked at it yet but a few comments off the bat.

Import/export to text file is mandatory. Entering data is time consuming and I couldn't imagine expending all that effort and being married to the software. Nor would I want to re-enter the hundreds of dives I've already entered elsewhere.

Defaults would make things much easier on data entry. Being able to go to a logged dive, change a few fields, and create a new logged dive would also be nice.

The menu at right is rather cryptic and odd.

What database format is used?

Free is good, and beggars cannot be choosers, but what are your intentions? Are you just sharing your efforts with other divers or planning a commercial version? Do you expect to continue development and support in the future?

Import from other software(s) is a tough task, except for something very common like Suunto Dive Manager. I mean, how would you be able to import from other (different) formats? This is a common problem with all types of software and database; the data entry and conversion hassle. The database is in MS Access.

I'm not planning a commercial version and yes I expect to continue development and support in the future. Let's hope that everything goes fine though :)

shaggie:
Hi RSS, I really like the format of the form. One question though, what's RIB from shore and RIB from boat stand for?

RIB is Rigid Inflatable Boat (zodiac).

From shore or from boat means you reached the dive site by zodiac directly from shore or after taking a normal dive boat charter.

Red Sea Shadow:
Import from other software(s) is a tough task, except for something very common like Suunto Dive Manager. I mean, how would you be able to import from other (different) formats? This is a common problem with all types of software and database; the data entry and conversion hassle. The database is in MS Access.

I'm not planning a commercial version and yes I expect to continue development and support in the future. Let's hope that everything goes fine though :)

Actually, I see it as a quite simple task. Simply do it through delimited text file with the first row denoting the field headers. Ideally you would allow the headers to be in any order. Simply document what headers correspond to your table structure.

Don't even try to read another software's proprietary format. Let the text import/export for the other program be the other program's problem.

Take a look at Internet Dive Log. They provide a CSV file containing the headers for each of the tables that can be imported. For example, the idl_divelog.csv file is for importing dives and the first line start off as:

"DiverName,DiveNumber,StartTime,EndTime,Location,DiveSite,..."

mwhities:
I haven't read all the posts but, I think after you hit "Ok" to save the dive. It should go to a blank page, ready to add another.

Michael
OK will save the dive but will not open a new page for you. If you want to add a new dive, press the ++ button.

Red Sea Shadow:
OK will save the dive but will not open a new page for you. If you want to add a new dive, press the ++ button.

Yeah, I gathered that, I just figured after you hit "OK" (Submit) it should refresh the page and be ready for a new entry. I'd prefer that in an application as nice as this one is turning out.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom